1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No. But I never thought he'd be this close either, so what do I know.

He really does seem to get away with anything. And Clinton could choke in a close race.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Barring a complete debate collapse - not implausible - I think he is more likely to win than not. People believe him. People believe he is going to protect them, for some reason. From terrorism. From outsourcing. From all of it. Journalists and pundits whipped themselves into a lather over all the inside baseball of the convention's first three days. Voters just tuned in for Trump's speech and bought what he was selling.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The NBA sucks so I only watch it in the 4th quarter of the last game of the Finals. / "NBA fans"

4. Dick Whitman

Nobody likes to hear about small sample sizes drawn from people's personal observations, but among my social media network, I did see a lot of strong positive reaction to his speech. For months, people have been hearing about this unhinged racist bigot who says offensive things. Then they tune in, and watch a guy, introduced by his very impressive daughter, who came off as very sincere and grounded.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just the fact that he's at 48% in the CNN poll, and 44% in the RCP Average is remarkable.

If this percentage of voters are open to pulling the lever for him, he could win.

6. Dick Whitman

He's probably going to win. I guess you probably share their view, but I'm surprised at how many people buy into the bleak picture of America that he is selling. I know everything isn't hunky dory, and part of his message is a traditional Democratic one about income inequality. But that speech was downright dystopian, and it's clear that this is actually how people view their country right now. I think the mass shootings have really had an effect on people.

Trump's policies and temperament don't really scare me at all. His inexperience and ignorance of the issues do.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sure he could win. Either major party candidate can, every time. But if Dick is right, and a majority of Americans see their country as a dystopian hells cape, Trump or Clinton will be screwed if they win because there's nothing any President can do about a popular delusion/mass psychosis such as that. Since Trump's campaign promise is, "Whatever it is, I will fix it," he will be more screwed.
    PS: 32 million people, give or take, saw Trump's speech. The loser in November will get twice that many votes. I think convention bumps come from the candidate's name being the only ones people hear or see on the news for a week.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And many of these "belonging" have grown --- tax free --- for a generation or more.

Is that fair? The living person didn't pay takes on this income --- they were in deferred accounts --- and now you don't want them taxed after he dies, either.

Person buys an NFL franchise for $50,000 in 1965. It's worth $4 billion in 2016.

Owner never paid taxes on this $3,999,950,000 capital gain. And now it shouldn't be taxed on his death, either?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If Trump wins, it's because there are way more ignorant white assholes in this country than we thought. Simple.

He represents the worst of America. If he wins, basic American decency loses.

JakeandElwood likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Oh, no. I've been under no delusions about a lack of ignorant white assholes living in this country.

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

It's not unreasonable to speculate on the demise of the Democrat party given the weekends news.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because the chairman of the national committee resigned? A person one American in 100 can name? Now THAT'S delusional. Trump himself is in the process of proving that the national parties retain huge brand loyalty with voters no matter what happens to its various functionaries. The Goldwater rout didn't destroy the Republicans, the Carter rout didn't destroy the Democrats. Overreaction to the news cycle is a bad habit, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.