1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't care whether he can actually implement his vision or not. Even stipulating that he cannot, and Mike Pence is going to run the country for eight years, I'm not willing to give the keys to the White House fucking shitter to a guy who advocates a large-scale authoritarian crackdown as the centerpiece of his convention acceptance speech. That convention speech was straight out of a dystopian thriller. It was disturbing to watch people cheer it from the arena, and even more disturbing to watch people I know echo it on social media in the days that followed. I felt like I was watching a Stanley Kubrick movie. "Law and order" isn't a campaign theme. It's the buzz phrase from a young adult post-apocalyptic novel.

His vision for America disqualifies him.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's like the henchmen who know the boss has murdered the last six guys for random reasons but think he'll never do it to *them*.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which is why he should be unelectable among the sane. Or, at least, among the principled and serious-minded conservatives.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know how my 3-year-old would govern, either. That's a terrible reason to elect someone.

TowelWaver likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Daily Caller sounds the Drudge Siren: No Visible American Flags Present At The Democrat Convention

PHILADELPHIA — The Daily Caller is at the Democratic National Convention and it doesn’t look like there are any American flags.

The stage is bland and grey, with no red, white or blue present. A thorough look at the crowd present also turns up no American flags.

Well, except for this one:

[​IMG]

And, this one:

[​IMG]

And, this one:

[​IMG]

And, this one:

[​IMG]

And, this one:

[​IMG]

And, this one:

[​IMG]

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My only addition would be that it's a zero-sum negotiation.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I know growing up, it was always inspiring to see Ronald Reagan sell out his country and our allies to the Kremlin so he could get sub-prime financing to swing a real estate deal.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just read the Vanity Fair story (free subscription, shaddup, and Margot Robbie too) that took some guesses at why Trump won't release his tax records. It was a disappointing story that didn't sway me along those lines. But there was a note in there, and maybe it has appeared elsewhere, that he has 120 separate deals going on around the globe right now.

So, that could be typical Trump bluster ... but if not, or if it's half that, how does he unwind from those deals in the two months between election and inauguration? He can't just shove them into a blind trust. Would he try to just pass them off to his family and say "OK, my hands are clean!"

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Don't give in to the Republicans' fear-mongering.

old_tony likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe he can seek some advice from Mayor Bloomberg.

old_tony and Earthman like this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's quite a bit easier to say your business interests aren't affected by stewardship of one city than of the world's largest and most interdependent economy, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.