1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll bet you it's more prominent tonight.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Have Long Beach State host it.

[​IMG]

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There must be some (smoke) signal to her success.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How many graduates of state law schools were tenured members of the faculty at Harvard when she was there? Her husband's a professor at HLS, too. When did he start?

Either you don't know, or you're simply ignoring, just how snooty vis-a-vis credentials places like HLS (and Penn, Texas, etc.) are. Let me give you a sample:

My former dean (another of those strong women @cranberry is certain I have a problem with) took her PhD in Economics at Harvard. She then started on the tenure track at Wharton. After she'd been tenured, a few years later she applied for promotion to full professor. As is the norm she solicited letters of recommendation from top-shelf scholars in her sub-discipline. Her evaluation committee made a big snit out of the fact that one of the guys writing a letter was only at George Mason (he'd recently left the University of Arizona). Indeed, the committee asked that she consider soliciting an additional letter from someone more appropriate.

The guy was Vernon Smith, and at the time the committee deemed him unsuitable, it had been only a year since he'd won the fucking Nobel Prize in economics.

Like you, I believe she worked like hell to get where she got. But let's don't kid ourselves. The assertion that that "mistake" re: her ethnicity played no role (or only a minor one) in her professional journey is ridiculous.

old_tony, YankeeFan and RickStain like this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You people (!) are a weird bunch.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You may find this ridiculously hard to believe (cough, cough), but I don't move in quite such distinguished circles.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The DNC Hack Is Watergate—but Much Worse

"But this document dump wasn’t a high-minded act of transparency. To state the obvious, only one political party has been exposed. (Selectively exposed: Many emails were culled from the abridged dump.) And it’s not really even the inner workings of the Democrats that have been revealed; the documents don’t suggest new layers of corruption or detail any new conspiracies. They’re something closer to the embarrassing emails that fly across every office in America—griping, the testing of stupid ideas, the banal musings that take place in private correspondence. The emails don’t get us much beyond a fact every sentient political observer could already see: Officials at the DNC, hired to work hand in glove with a seemingly inevitable nominee, were actively making life easier for Hillary Clinton. It didn’t take these leaks to understand that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a hack and that the DNC should be far more neutral in presidential primaries."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're talking about us, aren't you?

RickStain and doctorquant like this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

JackReacher and LongTimeListener like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That line is so crisp and fresh! Got any "hanging chads" zingers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.