1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Vombatus, I've seen a lot of yapping about that, all of it seeming to ignore the fact that Hillary wasn't there.

HanSenSE, BTExpress and Ace like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Was there not a good enough photo of her virtual breaking the glass ceiling? The alternative might have been running a crowd photo with jubilant (preferably women) supporters with Hillary signs.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's just it. She wasn't there. What are they supposed to use, a file photo?

BTExpress likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You said it yourself. Carelessness.

UPPERCASE letters, exclamation marks!!! and all.

Why do you ask a question when you've already shouted the answer?

Is this some bizarro form of Jeopardy?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What reason would they have to release them now, other than because they would prefer to deal with Trump as president?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Said shattering was around 11:15ish Eastern time, and everyone's deadlines are earlier than ever. And photos of a Jumbotron are never going to be as good.

I agree having a photo of Bill was a weird juxtaposition with the headline, but I wonder if it isn't the words that are out of place. The roll call was a formality, and he was the biggest newsmaker. The drama of "first woman nominee" was the night she clinched with the final primaries (and to an extent coming up on Thursday).

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

One of the pols from HoCo told about the video countdown from GW to Obama and then the crashed glass ceiling. I guess I would have expected some kind of photo of her on the live satellite feed might have been better? Surely some photogs got that moment?

8. LongTimeListener

That would have been awful. Zoom in on just the screen and it's all washed out and blurry. (Try taking a picture of your TV.) Pan back to the whole stage, and the screen in context is a small and barely visible part of it.

The way they did it was great for TV, thus obviously worth it. But it left newspapers with nothing.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I understand that the photography might not have been ideal (photo of the Jumbotron).

Anyway, I am away right now, so I called my gf around 11 PM last night and she wouldn't talk to me. Bill had just finished and she wanted to watch all the talking heads discuss Bill, Bill, BILL!

I got off the phone thinking I might need to score some strange this week. Surely she would approve? I mean, BILL!!!

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did anybody ask Bill which designer he was wearing while talking about his spouse?

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I mean, a dude on a podium isn't really compelling art, either. Like, that WSJ art is pretty lame.

Thought this was good work by the photog:
    [​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

That's a nice shot. If that was available, yeah, that's better.

Deadline crunch too though, as has been pointed out.

Vombatus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.