1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

immaterial - Cuba is what matters

2. Earthman

It's so great that Trumps olive branch meeting with The WAPO editors
    is coming back to bite him on the ass. I don't know what he was thinking.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Anyway, he started a bit too ... flimsily? But he flipped the switch and the final 15-20 minutes were really good. His inner lawyer emerged.

The "BELIEVE ME!" mimicry was really funny.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Speaking of O'Reilly, have we mentioned yet that he doubled down on his slavery comments last night?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/b...ped-build-white-house-were-well-fed.html?_r=0

Then, on his program, Mr. O’Reilly attributed the criticism to “smear merchants” and called it “a given that slavery is an abomination.”

He then, again, addressed the conditions in which slaves worked.

“As any honest historian knows, in order to keep slaves and free laborers strong, the Washington administration provided meat, bread and other staples, also decent lodging on the grounds of the new presidential building,” he said.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Relations with Iran, hell yes. We have an arms control agreement they are living up to. We have maintained uneasy but decent relations with China while strengthening our relations with East, South and Southeast Asian countries. We have resumed normal relations with Cuba, ending a uniquely failed and stupid policy. We (along with some of the other countries you named) have degraded ISIS from a serious quasi-state threat to a still vicious but far less threatening terrorist brand name. But why am I bothering? You WANT to live in fear of a hostile world.

Baron Scicluna, HanSenSE and Earthman like this.
  6. Earthman

He's rock solid. His Trump imitation was better than
    Darryl Hammond's

7. Earthman

Thank you!

8. Earthman

O'Reilly is done. Just give the Murdoch boys a few more weeks. They realize that Fox is on the wrong side of history

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, but we didn't crush every potential rival like a bug. China? Still exists. Russia? Still going. Iran? Not a parking lot.

BTExpress and Earthman like this.
  10. Earthman

LOL

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He was also asked about it on March 26. One hundred Internet dollars to anyone who can make heads or tails out of what he said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/us/politics/donald-trump-transcript.html?_r=0

TRUMP: We defend everybody. No matter who it is, we defend everybody. We’re defending the world. But we owe, soon, it’s soon to be $21 trillion. You know, it’s 19 now but it’s soon to be 21 trillion. But we defend everybody. When in doubt, come to the United States. We’ll defend you. In some cases free of charge. And in all cases for a substantially, you know, greater amount. We spend a substantially greater amount than what the people are paying. We, we have to think also in terms – we have to think about the world, but we also have – I mean look at what China’s doing in the South China Sea. I mean they are totally disregarding our country and yet we have made China a rich country because of our bad trade deals. Our trade deals are so bad. And we have made them – we have rebuilt China and yet they will go in the South China Sea and build a military fortress the likes of which perhaps the world has not seen. Amazing, actually. They do that, and they do that at will because they have no respect for our president and they have no respect for our country. Hey folks, I’m going to have to get off here now. Did you –

HABERMAN: I just had one quick follow-up on what you were saying about the South China Sea. How would you counter that assertiveness over those islands? Among other things, it’s increasingly valuable real estate strategically. Would you be willing to build our own islands there?

TRUMP: Well what you have to do – and you have to speak to Japan and other countries, because they’re affected far greater than we are – you understand that – I mean, they’re affected far – I just think the act is so brazen, and it’s so terrible that they would do that without any consultation, without anything, and yet they’ll sell their products to the United States and rebuild China, and frankly, even the islands, I mean, you know, they’ve made so much economic progress because of the United States. And in the meantime we’re becoming a third-world nation. You look at our airports, you look at our roadways, you look at our bridges are falling down. They’re building bridges all over the place, ours are falling down. You know, we’ve rebuilt China. The money they’ve drained out of the United States has rebuilt China. And they’ve done it through monetary manipulation, by devaluations. And very sophisticated. I mean, they’re grand chess players at devaluation. But they’ve done it –

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What's utterly bizarre is why any conservative felt they had to view slavery as an issue conservatives needed to defend in any way. They reflexively hate the Obamas so much they didn't even listen to what she was saying. America is a country where anything is possible. Black women who came of age living in a house built by slaves can grow up knowing they too can have a shot at the presidency. This kind of thing ought to be conservative catnip. This is America, where anything is possible. It's a true, but hopeful story, the kind or story conservatives used to embrace.

Now we get, essentially: Why you gotta mention that? You negros were well fed and given housing. Isn't that enough? Would you rather have been back in Africa?

It's insane. That's what our shitty culture of exploiting people's insecurities and lying to them for profit (Rush; Hannity) has wrought. They've convinced people the Obamas and Clintons are so evil, so not American, that they wake up one day saying "Oh yeah, well slavery wasn't THAT bad." And people nod along.

Slavery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.