1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dumpf's numbers are like rectal cancer with the 13-25 crowd. Maybe Bieb's manager didn't want him infected with his stench .

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

One of the most real moments of the week. Certainly was a good counterpoint to Republican convention when they paraded out that dopey Patricia Smith to claim that Hillary lied to her about why her son was killed in Benghazi. Have another Camel no filter Pat.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not everyone found her voice annoying.

Some found it soothing:

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

GM benefited from the circumstances of the time. The economy could not have withstood
    the fallout. Ford did not take the bailout and they are on much better footing. GM was rewarded for bad management and in another time should have been left out to dry.

old_tony likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I doubt that you can see any of that program's effects in today's used car market ... Was still an absolutely ridiculous program, though.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm 99 percent sure I could find one. Of course, "still has the new-car smell" is not among my requirements for a very good used car.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, this is awkward:

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

In what way are they on much better footing? They're substantially equivalent. I believe Ford is better positioned long-term with their trucks, but GM isn't a house of cards.

GM 2015
    Revenue - $152.36B
    EBITDA - $15.2B
    P/E Ratio - 6.17

Ford 2015
    Revenue - $149.56B
    EBITDA - $15.56B
    P/E Ratio - 7.17

GM was rewarded for bad management and, in less dire national circumstances, should have gotten the, "Bye, Felicia" treatment. The premise wasn't that GM didn't deserve it; it was that things would be the same today had the bailout not occurred.

10. doctorquant

One of things that I've observed since the middle class began disappearing and the race to the bottom became more intensified and the American dream went on life support is that what we define as a "good used car" for a teenager is way the hell different from what we defined when I was a teenager when the middle class was so much better off and everyone lived such better lives.

I got "my" first car in the winter of 1979. We paid around $800 for it, which is roughly $3,000 in today's dollars.

For the equivalent of about $3,000 back then, I got a beater with about 90,000 miles on it. It had a three-on-the-tree manual transmission and a damn-near worn-out clutch, an automatic choke that never worked properly, vinyl bench-style seats and an AM radio.

For my $3,000 today, I'd probably wind up with something older (my car was about 10 years old) and with more miles on it ... BUT, it'd be far safer, far more comfortable and far more reliable.

dprince57, HC and dixiehack like this.
  11. doctorquant

They're not. GM is trading at a substantial discount relative to Ford. Ford's P/E ratio of 7.17 is 16% larger than that of GM ...

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last week ... Ds: She's doing a Nazi salute! Rs: No, she wasn't. It was just a screengrab at the precise instant to make it look that way.
    This week ... Rs: Bill fell asleep! Ds: No, he wasn't. It was just a screengrab at the precise instant to make it look that way.

jr/shotglass and Double Down like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.