1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In a way though, he backed them into a corner. He was overt about the stuff that talk radio and Fox News had been fueling for years. The party didn't want Trump to win; they got blindsided by him in some ways. 30 percent of the electorate has been fed a diet of xenophobia and fear-mongering for the entire Obama presidency, and so when a celebrity candidate came along and started saying them, the actual party was screwed. I think Trump minus the racism would actually be a really interesting candidate, because a lot of people rightfully feel powerless and left behind, and I actually agree that a lot of the educated class (both sides!) can be really snotty and condescending to people who didn't get the opportunities they got. I laugh when I see Wall Street Journal and Washington Post journalists writing about "Trump is connecting with people who go bowling on the weekends" as if any of those reporters have been inside a goddamn bowling alley in 15 years, or have any idea how cliche it is to write that. (Monster truck rallies! People who listen to country music!) I don't know if Trump Wants To Blow Up The System, But Is Not A Bigot would be enough to win, but it would be interesting argument.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The corporatist controlled MSM which has been powersucking Dumpf's cock for the entire campaign. Yah, uh huh.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Starman

It blipped across the screen and got swamped in the firestorm over Dumpf's repugnant Khan comments.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I missed this the other day.

Obama and Biden can't even agree whether or not Putin is a dictator:

6. Starman

Of course you'd be shitting your pants if somebody didn't acknowledge that Putin is in fact a dictator.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is what I originally said:

What more specific knowledge on information security do I need in order to make that statement?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot of wiggle room in what Nate does.

For example, in this article, he talks about some of the choices he makes, but in one case-- relating to swing states-- declines to say why.

It's interesting to me, that the choices he makes... For example the factors related to third party candidates... Almost always favor Trump.

Election Update: Why Our Model Is Bullish On Trump, For Now

Like any liberal, I love Nate Silver.

I also think he doesn't want to be in any way responsible for this country electing Trump.

It's possible he was shaken by his earlier whiff on Trump, personally and professionally.

-----

I will give you the inherent problems with polling. Those have always existed.

My question is, are they in 2016, the least reliable that they have ever been ?

For firms who conduct the bulk of their polling using voice calling, what does that mean ?

Anecdotally, I think about how I almost never pick up a ringing phone anymore. Who does ?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You should have added "Hillary Clinton not withstanding" in there somewhere ...

old_tony likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Important to remember, while Obama is personally popular, a large majorities of the country believed we're on the "wrong track".

That's going to go a long way towards deciding the election. Trump is the candidate proposing real change. (And it's why you heard so many references during the DNC to Hillary being a "change maker").

But, turnout and the map still favor Hillary. I don't see Trump winning Pennsylvania -- or more obviously Michigan or Wisconsin -- which means he needs to pull of an inside straight, that likely includes Virginia, as well as Ohio and Florida (and North Carolina).

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It was the continuation of a conversation about Clinton, with the implication that her network and the DNC network being hacked showed a failure of information security.

Any network security robust enough to not be hacked by state-sponsored actors is impractical for every-day use.

12. YankeeFan

What's your experience on this topic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.