1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. That would happen. LOL.

Only bad things could happen for Hillary in such a situation.

Fuck, if I thought Hillary would do that, I'd recommend Trump skip the debates.

Take a look at who Johnson/Weld have said about the kinds of judges they would appoint.

Johnson would win voters away from Hillary if they debated.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Gore wins in 2000 . . .

He's likely a one-term president. Punch bowl was drying up, and country was heading toward recession. GOP would have eviscerated him for allowing 9/11 to happen. Because Dems are stuck with Gore in 2004 race, convention is a mere formality and Obama likely doesn't provide stirring keynote address . . .

Batman likes this.
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If Gore was pres, maybe 9/11 doesn't happen.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Killick and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. YankeeFan

The best part of the Palin pick, looking back is that it was Bill Kristol and the National Review folks who pushed her the most.

(McCain did want to pick Lieberman. That's true. But I'm surprised to hear you say that "most of us thought he would." I'm not sure McCain ever thought it would work. The religious right already didn't like/trust him. Picking a pro-choice running mate would have driven down his vote, at a time he needed to secure the base, and drive turnout.)

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was traveling on the campaign at the time, and McCain pretty clearly wanted to pick Lieberman, so we thought he would. I had to frantically Google Palin when they picked her. No idea who she was.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's in the DVR from Wednesday, so I just cued it up. Damn, I love this show.

9. YankeeFan

I forgot you were traveling with him.

So, by "we" you mean other members of the traveling press corp?

I mean, I could see why you'd get that impression -- you were getting it from him.

But, his advisors, and the party, were surely telling him that wouldn't work.

Even this cycle, Trump wanted to pick Christie. Like McCain/Lieberman, they were already friends and got along well. But he was convinced to pick a guy he barely knows, who he disagrees with in policy and temperament.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Jeb! and Marco Rubio were good candidates. They both have a very firm understanding and command of the issues.

Jeb! has absolutely no charisma and is a terrible campaigner. Rubio was a decent campaigner, but they both allowed themselves to get wedgied repeatedly and bullied out of the race.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, I don't want to speak for the entire press corps, but I would say many of us thought Lieberman would be the guy. There was definitely concern about two white-haired white men running on the same ticket, and I'm guessing that's what the campaign told McCain. (Once it gets to that stage, the party machinery is involved, not just your guys. There are suits whispering everywhere.) He went along with Palin, but his regret was so obvious and came so early that I thought he was going to say he'd made a mistake and pick Joe. But of course then you're painted as indecisive or fickle, but in hindsight, he didn't have anything to lose. McCain's entire temperament, the feeling of whole campaign, changed after Palin came aboard. McCain became much more distant, much angrier, much more cornered seeming. His best speech was his concession speech, when he was finally free. I think he's a mostly good man who was told that his gut wasn't good enough anymore and he hated the choices that he was told he had to make. That's part of becoming president. I don't know how anyone goes through that process and comes out a better person than they were. I don't think many people do.

12. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Shirley you can't be serious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.