1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Although I'm sure cran would tell us that Hillary would get at least 88 percent of the popular vote against any other candidate.

old_tony likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gotta figure at this point if Fucko is removed from the GOP ticket, a not inconsiderable percentage of his hardcore base would write him in as an independent "fuck you" candidate.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't agree with Starman very often, but I gotta think they'd stick with him.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. Dems would change strategy on the fly, going from attacking Trump to attacking that ulttaconservative platform.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Some would, but Hillary's presence would limit the damage somewhat.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I sincerely doubt if Trump backs out now the person who replaces him will have any shot of winning. It will pissoff the millions who have supported Trump who will claim this whole thing was an establishment takeover because they were scared of the changes Trump would make in Washington. Independents might also be warry of the abrupt change and the view of desparation from the GOP. Even of Independents flawk to the new candidate, they'll be offset by the Trumpers who will a) not vote b) who'd vote for Johnson. Not to mention they would be woefully behind in fundraising and establishing bases in states to get out the vote. And I'd buy a ticket to the shitshow that will be choosing a new candidate. It will be an utter disaster for the GOP ... beyond what it is already.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't really know what would happen if a late replacement for Trump came in. We just don't have any good historical comparisons.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Perhaps in a conventional election. But not when half the party is splintered off and feeling (and rightly so) that its candidate was stolen. With the votes the GOP would lose out of anger, Ryan's total at this point would probably be lower than Trump's.

Ryan also isn't as universally beloved within the GOP as those outside the GOP believe he is.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

As a news junkie, I would love to see it play out.

old_tony likes this.
  10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you think that millions of energized Trump voters would enthusiastically go to the polls for Paul Ryan on a month's notice, you haven't been paying attention to politics for the last year.

Baring something insane, like more DNC/Hillary's emails revealing that she did Sandy Hook, this week has made it clear the Republican Party can lose the presidency one of two ways: With some dignity, or in a burning fireball of toxic hate that damages the party for five years. Ryan would get destroyed by Clinton. It wouldn't even be close. But at least he'd survive with his dignity. At this point, he could (in theory) have the permanent stain of Trump on his hands forever.

Had he been in the race and won the nomination, sure. It would be close. He wouldn't blow her out, but he'd be favored.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Ryan's stock was the highest it will ever be the day before he agreed to be Romney's running mate.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody who's not voting for Hitlerry has been not voting for her since about 1992.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.