1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has gotten any attention, but what I find fascinating about Trump's remarks is the statement immediately after the controversial one.

Read his remarks:

"Hillary wants to abolish -- essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, and if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. [Pause] Although the Second Amendment people -- maybe there is, I don't know. But I tell you what, that'll be a horrible day."

When I first listened to him, my first thought was that he was suggesting the Second Amendment people might shoot her-- and then, realizing what he did, qualified it by saying that if it comes to that-- if she were indeed shot-- that [would] be a horrible day.

I had to listen to it again-- and read the general thoughts on the comments-- to come around to the idea that "horrible day" was referring to the day she gets to nominate Supreme Court Justices.

----------

But here's the interesting part:

Look at the tense he uses-- that'll-- that will be-- for all you English majors-- that's Simple Future, right ?

What is Simple Future? The internet tells us this tense is used to:

"express the idea of a general prediction about the future."

He's given up, folks. He is either (a) resigned to her victory and/or (b) never wanted it to begin with.

cranberry and RickStain like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trying to read between the lines of a Trump Word Salad is a losing game.

HanSenSE and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still waiting for Trump to do same with David Duke. It's been what, a couple of months?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cute narrative but bears no resemblance to what I said.

What Clinton said was shitty. What Trump said was shitty.

But implying that murder would be a good thing is still a step further than even the worst interpretation of Clinton remarks.

So to be po-mo about it, even if you were right, I'm still right.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, you're getting close.

But all you have to do is, instead of assuming your candidate had "probably done the same thing", is find out FOR SURE if he/she had done the same thing, and if so just stay out of that particular discussion.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So anytime I hear Donald Trump say something, run a Google search to see if Hillary Clinton said the same thing?
    Is that how Yankee Fan does it?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They are not equivalent.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Neither are lung cancer and pneumonia ...

Hokie_pokie and JC like this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

No matter how dumb you may think I am, at least I never embarrassed myself on a thread devoted to the death of one of the greatest athletes of all time.

10. Baron Scicluna

Great. Now we're comparing emails to pneumonia.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with @typefitter?

(Love ya Jones!)

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You can call it "emails." You'd be lying though. The issue is completely careless and negligent behavior when it comes to national security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.