1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Trump is worse because he doesn't mean it and, more to the point, is clueless about almost all of it. He's a loose cannon who runs his mouth and might get people killed. He's a more accomplished and smarter version of Sarah Palin, but a version of her nonetheless.

He'd be four years of BS or, even worse, 4 years of that person we saw convention night. That was his idea of being serious, and it was scary. It was like watching a child play an adult.

His comments about the plan to have Scalia live 10 more years were ludicrous, too.

Hilary Clinton is pragmatic to the point of being kind of a dark, unpleasant soul. I won't mind that in a president. In fact, we may need precisely that. I think she'll cut through the BS.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

National security was deeply threatened by links to Ny times articles and a birthday message.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Careless and negligent behavior based upon ... emails. Because some of them had a little c next to them.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Translation: I'd find Trump's comments troubling if I knew someone actually had been put in harm's way by them.

Not a correct translation? Where'd I go wrong?

old_tony likes this.
  5. RickStain

Advocating for an action and (alleged) recklessness that may cause an action are not morally equivalent, even if both are bad.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can't you be concerned about two different things even if they are not equal?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Show me.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. RickStain

You saw the quote and presumably the video.

He set up a negative situation and said there was no solution, then said that this would be a solution.

This wasn't yet another case of a politician using reckless language or imagery as a metaphor for political victory and defeat. There is some grey area there. This was him expressly advocating for murder as the solution to Clinton appointing liberal judges.

The only real defense is that Trump's mental illness leaves him not entirely in control of what he is saying.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's what I really don't get. And I probably won't get the words right ... it won't be the first time ... but here goes.

Let's give Donald Trump the benefit of the doubt, if only for the sake of argument. Let's say he in no way intended to suggest the assassination of someone.

Given that, doesn't the mere fact that he would use that set of words, that he would use such loose and dangerous rhetoric ... wouldn't that have pretty much been an ultimate deal-breaker in every presidential race prior to 2016? I mean, wouldn't everything have just stopped there and then, and he'd be done?

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The more important thing deserves more concern.

Mike Pence, in talking about Trump's comment, pulled a YankeeFan "What about Hillary?" defense.

12. RickStain

I don't think so. Loose rhetoric has a pretty deep history. That Biden quote, for example. Or the great hunt for crosshairs from a few years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.