1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Are you saying we should impose our Constitution on those who are not Americans?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus. WikiLeaks will have to find a huge pile of buried bodies to help Trump now....

What a bizarre election. A deeply-flawed and highly-beatable nominee will enjoy one of the largest landslide wins ever because the other side picked the single worst nominee in American political history.

There's a temptation to think the American people were deprived of a real choice this time around, except that we're the ones that chose the two choices.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Ace likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

No, I wrote that the answer might depend on whether the person answering believes that Constitutional rights are God-given or granted by the government.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In a four way race, she's at 41% in both Florida and Colorado.

She's awful, and people know it.

Cran is about the only person who's going to be voting for her while not also holding their nose.

5. Mr. Sunshine

I think I've whittled down the Modern American Liberal take on this.

We shouldn' t impose our values on anyone, but our Constitution should apply to everyone.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The freedom to worship as we wish is embracing our rights and freedoms. You don't get to pick and choose which religion gets to worship freely in this country and which don't.

You're so afraid of Muslims implementing Sharia law that supersedes the laws of our Constitution, federal government and states. How does that square with Christians demanding their laws supersede those of the United States? Companies have to provide birth control in their healthcare packages, well unless it goes against the Christian mandate of no birth control ever. You cannot deny gay people the right to marry except for those who believe the Bible allows you do declare homosexuality a sin and therefor you don't have to follow that law.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of Muslims in this country who want nothing more than to have a place to live, receive an education, hold a job, receive a good income, go to their houses of worship without people giving them shit for it and be treated like any other American. They're here. They're good people and you're not driving them out. Get over it.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

All the rights, none of the responsibilities.

I suppose we should have let thousands of racist South Africans and Rhodesians immigrate here after their Apartheid regimes fell.

old_tony likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Some would contend that the Modern American Right-Winger's take on this is:

Constitutional rights are God-given, but God didn't give them to everybody.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Have to feel bad for Democrats with integrity.

old_tony likes this.
  10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this last night. While Hillary is obviously not a great candidate, how would she have fared against the other candidates?

Hillary v. Cruz: I think she wins easily. He would slime her in a lot of ways Trump has, and it would drive women away. Plus, Republicans don't even like him that much.

Hillary v. Rubio: I think this would be close. He would have to show a lot more than he did in the run-up. But I think he'd probably win.

Hillary v. Kasich: I think he'd probably win this match-up. He'd win Ohio, and he'd be more competitive in PA (though he'd still lose). He'd certainly run way more favorably in Colorado, VA, Michigan, New Hampshire, etc.

Hillary v. Ben Carson: She would destroy him. He is a joke.

Hillary v. Jeb: I think this would be very close. He'd probably be favored with Florida a likely win. A lot of people are tired of the Bushes though. The match-up everyone assumed we'd get, and was complaining about, seems so much more preferable to what we did get though. They'd hit each other, but also be respectful, certainly. And Jeb has already been mostly vetted, so there wouldn't be too many surprises.

Hillary v. Christie: She'd beat him easily. He'd run the whiniest campaign off all time.

Hillary v. Carly Florina: Hillary would win by the same margin Obama beat Romney. It wouldn't be that close.

Hillary v. Rick Santorum: Hillary would win. It might be close, but you can't win national elections on religious fervor anymore.

Hillary v. Huckabee: She wins handily.

Hillary v. Rand Paul: This would have been interesting. This would have been a real contrast of ideologies. Would the Republicans have actually thrown their weight behind him? I don't know. Hard to guess here.

Hillary v. Romney: I think he wins.

We won't even waste time with Graham, Perry, Jindal, Walker and Pataki.

Lugnuts, Riptide and Stoney like this.
  11. Double Down

She can't be likable, because no one you know at all even likes her!

Good job, good effort Pauline Kael.

12. Double Down

This seems well thought out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.