1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You guys are the sheltered people living in an alternate political world, Sunshine. Obama has a 53 percent approval rating and HRC's going to win in an electoral landslide.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She is certainly a better option than Trump, but I wouldn't go nearly this far. Even YF isn't fawning over Trump this much.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Quit confusing relative popular approval with actual competence.

Hokie_pokie and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

She hasn't been smart enough to keep herself out of trouble-- she got lucky with Trump as her opponent in the general.

For a woman to break through for the first time, there was going to need to be some luck. Shit like that requires aligning of stars.

Hillary is smart, for sure. In multiple ways.

But what really impresses me about her is not her smarts, but her consistency as a player in the political arena.

And when I say consistency, I mean consistency of habits, consistency of effort. She's not one to figuratively 'veg out on the sofa' of the political arena.

You know the expression about 'just showing up' ? She just keeps showing up ! It's fucking maddening. Most people don't have that kind of will or consistency of spirit.

She's been through some shit, and survived, and she's still here.

That does require a level of shrewdness....

But mainly I'd classify her as a 'consistent survivor.'

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Campaigning in Connecticut while ignoring Ohio. Utterly inexplicable. The "he's trying to lose" theory grows stronger each day.

Only explanation is sheer laziness, as noted in that article “He can go have lunch in Connecticut and be home for supper." Ohio means more work, who needs that?

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Interesting observation ? The States Trump is likely to win are States where Trump owns no properties or licenses his name.

LongTimeListener and doctorquant like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What candidate is this not true of?

I mean, it's kind of the time we live in. I like reading about Teddy Roosevelt. But I can't see any way in which he'd escape abject villainy today.

When every politician is a spawn of the devil, you end up with Trump, who more or less concedes he's one, "but, hey, I'm a likable devil!"

That's how authoritarianism takes hold. People aren't fooled into it. They choose, almost happily, because they've grown to distrust everyone else except the strongman.

8. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

No way trump wins CT. No impact anyway.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A lot of relatively conservative people who are still coming to terms with the fact that they will begrudgingly vote for Hillary express similar sentiments.

10. Lugnuts

Nothing wrong with that.

11. Lugnuts

Another little gem from an article about Trump's stop in Connecticut tonight:

The Trump campaign's effort to win Connecticut’s 7 electoral votes is part of a plan to expand the electoral map by competing in states like New York, Oregon, Washington and Michigan that Republicans have not carried for decades.

lolz

Trump, Clinton kick off battle for Connecticut

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I live in the real America. Home around the corner is flying a "Don't Tread on Me" flag and I'be seen a few MOLON LABE bumper stickers in the neighborhood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.