1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 are pretty good places to start.

Lugnuts and Smallpotatoes like this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One of which was nullified struck down by John Roberts and saw its provisions immediately stripped away by Republican governments. On the other hand, people on this thread told me both sides were the same.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Seriously, how often to Dems elect an African-American to elect them in a district that isn't a minority-majority district?

There are tons of safe Dem seats, where the winner of the Dem primary is virtually assured of winning the election. But, it seems African-Americans can only win when their district is a minority-majority district.

We've seen a few Senators serve (briefly), but precious few in the House.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's an ignorant thing to say and we've been through this any number of times on this thread, so I'm not going to waste my time on it again.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nullified ... right. I'd love for you to provide some more detail on this nullification.

6. Big Circus

I'm sure you have an extensive list of white-majority Republican districts that have elected black Congressmen, right?

And again...your argument on this chain has gone from "Blacks wouldn't vote Democrat if they knew what was good for them" to "When white people are in control of a district, black candidates don't get elected." Not exactly a stirring argument that Republicans have black people's interests at heart.

7. Big Circus

Fair point. Bad choice of words. Struck down.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask Eleanor Roosevelt?

On second thought, better not. She'd kick your ass.

Lugnuts and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. doctorquant

The challenge still stands ... Give us some detail on this "striking down" ...

10. Big Circus

11. doctorquant

Relative to "white America," how were African-Americans doing materially in the mid-1960s, and how has their (relative) material standing since then progressed?

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Then if you want to accept that those are democratic bills,it would be hard to argue that Clinton crime and welfare bills were not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.