1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Majority Hispanic doesn't count. I'll look at the whole list later, but I'm guessing "plurality white" also means "minority-majority".

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Both of which were heavily cheered by Republicana.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Right, plurality anything means the largest group in a district where nobody has 50%-plus 1 of the population. It also means you have to work to build coalitions and can't just rely on "your people" alone to carry you to the polls.

More generally, how paternalistic is it to think that if overwhelming majorities of African Americans reject the Republican brand, there must be something wrong with them and they just need the GOP white-splained to them, instead of Republicans adjusting what they do and say? Do y'all think African Americans are less capable of deciding what's in their best political interests and acting accordingly?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    service_gamer, Lugnuts and Big Circus like this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Keith Ellison, 74% white
    Emanuel Cleaver, 67% white
    Steven Horsford, 66% white
    Andre Carson, 61% white
    Joyce Beatty, 57% white

That's five right there (and to be fair, as far as I know, that's the whole list). You have exactly one sitting House representative on your list: Mia Love. You also have one Senator, who is, of course, not affected by district lines and won as an appointed incumbent over another African-American. Not much of an example of your point.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What is the point here? Are you actually arguing that it is a positive for Trump that he was the one who did the cheating rather than being the one whose spouse cheated?

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ace likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great thinking; when the dishonest person is commended and the honest person is crticized.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This is what we do now.

We openly punish the victim.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, we're discussing how African-Americans would be better off if the Republicans had their way, and the fact that courts are striking down Republican-backed voter ID laws as discriminatory is...evidence of that?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Paternalism?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe the Republicans can persuade African-Americans that their way to achieve the middle class dream is better. To do that, they probably should be able to point to some policies that they champion that help the middle class.

Oh, wait ...

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

People's marriage arrangements are lame but common political assessments. Almost all powerful men are philanderers. It's almost of a piece with why they're successful politicians. I'm frankly astounded that Obama has managed to skirt a sex scandal. I gotta imagine he's had plenty of opps with some fine looking women bc a lot of chicks dig him.

I always have assumed the Clinton marriage was of political advantage to them both. And if you marry someone like Donald Trump and expect him to be faithful, you're an idiot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.