1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Are we solely using "material" wealth to quantify how Democratic policies have helped black (and other minority) Americans? Are we ignoring education, voting rights, access to health care (all areas in which black Americans have narrowed the gap since 1964)?

For the record, the income gap between the median household income of whites and blacks has narrowed by about 5 percent since 1967 (the first year data was available), according to Pew. That, of course, can not solely be traced back to one single piece of legislation or even the efforts of one party or one President.

I get the sense you are intending to jump in and say that the wealth gap (median household net worth) between black and white Americans has widened in recent years and, therefore, Democratic policies have hurt black Americans. The recent widening of the wealth gap, though, is mostly due the fact that the housing collapse disproportionately affected black homeowners, who lost approximately 33 percent of their wealth during the collapse, compared to 11 percent for whites, according to BusinessInsider.

I'm not going to bother going down the rabbit hole further because it is inarguable among the sane that black Americans are better off today than they were in 1964.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Such a well-run campaign, Farage says he's appearing with Trump today but Trump's spox says nope!

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In most recent polling on the question, African Americans had the highest degree of optimism about the country's future of those polled. That would not be true of people who felt they were losing ground.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Are we? I didn't think that's what you and I were discussing. I thought we were discussing whether the only hope African-Americans have is to continue voting as a near-uniformly-Democratic bloc.

No, it's evidence of African-American voting rights being no more at risk now than they were before Shelby.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Probably safe to say that white guys who don't like black people and women, i.e., the segments that produced the current president and the next president, are the least optimistic. And especially if they don't like the gays, too. Imagine if the president after Clinton is homosexual. The country needs to experience the collective fucking meltdown that middle America would have if that came to pass.

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. doctorquant

So what? All Americans are better off today than they were in 1964. The question is, how much better off are African-Americans now (as compared to 1964) than they were in 1964 (as compared to, say, 1924)?

7. doctorquant

Got it ... it's racist for a conservative politician to try to win the support of African-American voters.

8. bigpern23

The answer is: Significantly.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. doctorquant

The improvement in their relative standard of living post-CRA/VRA pales in comparison to the improvement in their relative standard of living prior to those.

10. bigpern23

I'm not really sure your point. Earthman asked for Democratic policies that have helped black Americans. I gave those two as examples. Are you arguing that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act hurt black Americans?

11. doctorquant

No, I'm arguing that the evidence (e.g., the poverty rate) is suggestive of African-Americans' relative material progress slowing subsequent to the CRA/VRA era legislation. Now the one may not have anything to do with the other, but it sure is hard to see the CRA/VRA legislation has having improved African-Americans' relative material lot.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Except that now they're allowed to go out in public. You know, stuff like that. :cool:

Lugnuts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.