1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As long as you trust Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Don't they sell EpiPens in Africa? Sad!"

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Remember: Trump thinks trying to help Americans in danger makes you mentally ill.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

But I am mentally ill! Please send drugs.

Ace likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"I believe that if you understood who I truly am in my heart, and if it were possible to fully communicate what I believe is in the real, enduring best interest of African American families, you would vote for me for president. I want you to know that if I did not believe that my policies and my leadership would help families of color — and families of any color — more than the policies and leadership of President Obama, I wouldn’t be running for president."

Ghastly stuff ...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boiled down:

Trust me. I know what's best for you people.

cranberry likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Isn't it incumbent upon the candidate to "fully communicate" what he believes is in the "enduring best interests of African American families" if he wants them to vote for him? Saying, "I know how to make things better for you, buh-lieve me," doesn't quite cut it in a Presidential campaign.

As for his belief that his policies will help families of color more than the policies of Obama, well, let's hear them. Pundits and reporters have been asking for substantive policy ideas for months. What's he waiting for?

8. doctorquant

OK, sure, you raise a good point. From 1940 to 1960, the poverty rate among African-Americans went from 87% to 47% (a 46% reduction). From 1960 to 1980, it fell to 29% (a 38% reduction). Now, clearly, we start running up against the likely reality of diminishing returns: It's probably easier to effect a big change earlier in the curve (when the poverty rate is relatively high) than later. Still, given that: 1) the trend in improvement had been going on well before the VRA/CRA/Great Society legislation; and 2) it actually slowed after that legislation, is it so unreasonable to question just how effective that legislation was?

9. doctorquant

That was Mitt Romney speaking to the NAACP in 2012. He laid out several proposals, all boilerplate Republican stuff. @Ace tells me it was racist of him to go there.

10. bigpern23

You're also talking about the post-war boom during which the GNP more than doubled from around $200 trillion to around $500 trillion. Of course that growth could not be sustained.

11. bigpern23

Ah, gotcha. I thought that sounded too eloquent and humble to be the current GOP candidate.

12. doctorquant

LOL ... Yeah, didn't think that needed to be pointed out.

bigpern23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.