1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not my fault if the boilerplate Republican stuff is racist.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump claimed today his polls with African-Americans and "Spanish-speaking folks" have gone way up for him the past few weeks.

I mean, I guess going from 1 percent to 2 percent could be spun as going way up.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He told the shiftless n*****ers to get off their slack asses and get jobs. That's pretty substantive.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The dirty little secret is that for America to ever be "great" --- again --- Europe has to pretty much destroy itself --- again.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"First, I will take full advantage of our energy resources, and I will approve the Keystone pipeline from Canada. Low cost, plentiful coal, natural gas, oil, and renewables will bring over a million manufacturing jobs back to the United States.

Second, I will open up new markets for American products. We are the most productive major economy in the world, so trade means good jobs for Americans. But trade must be free and fair, so I’ll clamp down on cheaters like China and make sure that they finally play by the rules.

Third, I will reduce government spending. Our high level of debt slows GDP growth and that means fewer jobs. If our goal is jobs, we must, must stop spending over a trillion dollars more than we earn. To do this, I will eliminate expensive non-essential programs like Obamacare, and I will work to reform and save Medicare and Social Security, in part by means-testing their benefits.

Fourth, I will focus on nurturing and developing the skilled workers our economy so desperately needs and the future demands. This is the human capital with which tomorrow’s bright future will be built. Too many homes and too many schools are failing to provide our children with the skills and education that are essential for anything other than a minimum-wage job.

And finally and perhaps most importantly, I will restore economic freedom. This nation’s economy runs on freedom, on opportunity, on entrepreneurs, on dreamers who innovate and build businesses. These entrepreneurs are being crushed by high taxation, burdensome regulation, hostile regulators, excessive healthcare costs, and destructive labor policies. I will work to make America the best place in the world for innovators and entrepreneurs and businesses small and large.

Do these five things – open up energy, expand trade, cut the growth of government, focus on better educating tomorrow’s workers today, and restore economic freedom – and jobs will come back to America, and wages will rise again."

If you shut your eyes, it's easy to imagine someone saying such things with a backdrop of white robes and burning crosses ...

old_tony, YankeeFan and Ace like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a 100 percent increase!

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The point of the VRA & CRA was not to improve poverty.

It was to give people the right to vote and civil rights.

So I think it was effective.

GEEZ, quant ! You're starting to sound like 'but they were well fed and housed' guy.

You're better than this, quant.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leave DQ alone. He's obviously not better than this! ;)

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Four out of the five things listed here doesn't actually work to eliminate poverty. The first is a benefit to the oil companies. The second is a boon for multinational corporations. The third, unless he means to cut defense spending, likely means cutting of government programs that serves to benefit impoverished areas. The fourth I'll concede because we need to do more to boost our educational system and help push kids on either a college route or a vocational route. My problem with Romney vague idea of nurturing and developing skilled workers is if he means to reduce the debt, the likely means he will cut education spending as well. And the last one is the same trickle-down policies that help give businesses a leg up but doesn't help the workers. Cutting taxes on the wealthiest means money has to come out of programs that would help low income areas and education.

Those policies don't directly help one race over another except if we combine it with the institutional racism that exists. That list wants to help business owners and corporations, which disproportionately don't have minority faces. The list would cut out programs that help those in poverty, which skew toward minorities more.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That trend in improvement prior to the legislation was affected considerably by the Great Migration, in which more than 3 million southern blacks moved north for better jobs in the factories than subsistence farming, and, of course, the ability to ride a bus without having to worry about getting lynched.

Yes, things improved for them. That's because they left the region that was oppressing them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    X-Hack likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I believe he's waiting for Hillary to have a coronary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.