1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, sure. As re: civil rights, that era remains liberalism's finest hour. But let's not pretend that liberalism batted 1.000 (or close to it) in that era. And it infuriates me to hear that it's racist/paternalistic/whatever for a conservative to make a conservative pitch to African-American voters.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am with DQ in that I don't think, as words, the GOP's (or even Trump's) pitch to black communities is very much worse or even different than what the community's own leaders say. There are huge problems of opportunity, especially employment.

It's also completely justified, and not racist at all, to make the case that principles like reducing taxes and regulation would help those communities by attracting businesses and jobs.

It's just that the people making that case are wrong. :)

cranberry and Ace like this.
  3. doctorquant

Don't ever say I'm wrong again ... [/tinytubers]

dixiehack and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

tinytubers. That's outstanding.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Duly noted. Can we settle on disingenuous?

6. doctorquant

I'll only agree to "politics" ...

Ace likes this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Kinda like yer comb.

8. Smallpotatoes

Not trying to make a point with this. Just think it's funny. That's all. colonpower.jpg

9. doctorquant

[​IMG]

10. Smallpotatoes

It was from a 1980s Right Guard ad. "Right Guard is so good people are trading in their old deodorants." In one scene, a recruit in basic training gives his drill instructor his old deodorant. "Here, Sergeant, hardly used." The drill instructor replies "Kinda like yer comb." I guess that was supposed to be some sort of put-down but the recruit was too dim-witted to realize it. As am I in this case, apparently.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know, it's funny.

Two weeks ago, the big laugh line was to point out that Trump was polling 1% of African-Americans, and was in fourth place with them, behind the Libertarian and Green Party candidates.

Yesterday (or maybe it was Monday), the NBC News|SurveyMonkey Weekly Election Tracking Poll came out, and it has Trump at 8% with African-Americans.

Seems like a pretty big jump, and a nice trend, that coincides with his recent attention to courting the African-American vote, and speaking about race.

So, ho did NBC headline their story on the poll:

Trump Faces Hurdle With Minority Voters as Clinton Maintains Lead, Poll Shows

Now, granted, Romney and McCain lost, but if you look at these numbers, Trump is not running far behind what they polled with minorities, and seems to be gaining:

Trump faces a steep climb if he is to win non-white voters. Results from the latest tracking poll show that only 8 percent of black voters support him, compared to 87 percent who support Clinton. Trump is also behind among Hispanic voters with 22 percent compared to 73 percent who support Clinton. Asian Americans also overwhelmingly support Clinton, 66 percent to 23 percent who support Trump.

Trump has a mountain to climb to win minority voters

Meanwhile, folks on SJ.com joke that he's gone from 1% to 2%.

That's not what current polling shows.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Would it help if Trump would maybe talk about improving black lives in front of actual, you know, black people?

Lugnuts and HanSenSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.