1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm willing to entertain an argument that he's gotten more of a free pass than he perhaps earned. But despicable to the day he died? Was his onetime Klan membership enough to mark him despicable no matter what else he did, or are there other reasons for your opinion?

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing yesterday.

Does anyone know Stain ?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like to give people a chance to change and right past wrongs. It can take a long time. A lifetime, even. Maybe Byrd did that. Maybe he stayed despicable to the end. It just seems there are more people willing to sweep it under the rug because of his political affiliation, than are willing to give the same consideration to others for far lesser transgressions.
    Byrd was a one-time Klansman who is feted as a great man and talked about in glowing terms. Some politicians make one wrong off-hand comment and their careers are destroyed, their reputations shattered. Why is that?

old_tony likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who the hell fetes Byrd as a "great man" ? Nobody I ever heard of.

To the extent I ever devoted any thoughts to him at all, which wasn't much, I regarded him as a doddering semi-senile old former Dixiecrat who had seen the writing on the wall and realized if he wanted to stay in the Democratic Party, he needed to "get his mind right" and get on the right side of civil rights issues.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hillary Clinton?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, that's her. And she's old enough to be my mother. In Arkansas terms anyway.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When she's in West Virginia trying to coax out votes. Maybe she even does fete him, thinking like a politician. He was a deal maker who got things through the Congress. Damn few do nowadays.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Look at it this way: What would Byrd have done if he was endorsed by the KKK in his last campaign?

Would he emphatically reject it, or would he get wishy washy and claim he doesn't know anything about anything or anyone, but never actually reject the support of well-known white supremacists?

Because the current Republican nominee for president has done one of those things.

That's not to defend Byrd's past.

But Trump's present > Byrd's past.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He was in the Klan until he wasn't in it.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Byrd's name is on a lot of facilities.

For that matter, so is Trump's.

That's all I've got. Carry on.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump looks to keep the attention on Hillary's health:

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where's his fucking tax return?

Thread Status: