1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bathroom policy might be faster.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah. Remember how Republicans tried to close down Gitmo, and then Obama back peddled and refused to do it?

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo Bay facility

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo Bay facility - CNN.com

Funds to Close Guantánamo Denied

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/politics/21detain.html

Good news though - he's still trying. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/us/politics/obama-guantanamo-bay.html

.... and Republicans are still obstructing it.

3. YankeeFan

Is this supposed to prove something?

Did he think during the campaign, when he was promising to close down Gitmo, that he could do it unilaterally, or that he would not face (bi-partisan) opposition in Congress?

old_tony likes this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Not sure.

Let me ask the scores and scores and scores of Republican voters who thought Obamacare was going away, if only Republicans could control Congress.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As I said, you are making shit up. And as usual with matters related to the media, you are doing it from a position of ignorance.

6. outofplace

Actually, it does prove something. You just don't like that it proves that another of your attacks is complete bullshit.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Uh-huh, sure. If they were uncomfortable name calling then they shouldn't have run the tweet at all and just alluded to it.

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  8. outofplace

I'm not arguing that CNN fucked up. That was, in fact, the first thing I posted on the subject. There is no doubt about that.

My issue is YF making up motivation for the error that suits his favored narrative.

9. YankeeFan

You're not sure? Look, Obama's a smart guy, right? He knew he would need Congress' support to close Gitmo, and he knew he wouldn't get it. Yet, he went out there and repeatedly lied, saying that he would. (The alternative is that Obama is not bright enough to realize this.)

Yeah. Republican voters were duped on this issue. It's a big reason why Trump won the nomination. Republican voters want to punish the career politicians, who tell them one thing during a campaign, and then go back to Washington and conduct business as usual.

But, the mention of ObamaCare does bring up the biggest campaign lie in recent years:

If you like your plan, you can keep it. It you like your doctor, you can keep him.

This was lie. They knew it was a lie. They repeated it endlessly. The press backed up the lie, telling critics of the proposed law that folks would be able to keep their plan/doctor. And, people voted on this issue.

But, they were duped. And, the media did not mock the folks who were duped.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe the narrative is spot-on.

11. Justin_Rice

I kept both my plan and my doctor.

You didn't?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Remember when Republicans said flip-flopping was a bad thing?

They seem to have flip-flopped on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.