1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever been deposed? I have. It was Lisa Olson's suit against Victor Kiam. The Herald lawyers who prepared me told me to say "I don't remember" whenever I thought I was even slightly less than certain about my memory. That's what lawyers do, and Clinton was a successful attorney.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: Take a random day from your own life three to five years ago. Now, you're being interrogated under penalty of perjury. Are you going to answer every question? Or are you a god damn liar for partisan reasons?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nobody was stopping him.

4. Dick Whitman

This weekend I will go through a sampling of dep transcripts in our case about to go to trial and count the "I don't knows" and "I don't recalls." Probably over 100 in some cases.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Been there, done that. Not fun.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not deposed, but I have testified (nasty custody battle which, fortunately, I won) and I received similar advice. If I wasn't SURE, I was to say "I don't remember" or "I don't know." I never had to say the words because I knew damn well every detail about my boy, but my lawyer was adamant about it. Don't perjure yourself, don't open yourself up to inconsistencies. Know the truth, speak it, the rest will take care of itself.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What if it's about a hummer or five you got a few years ago?

8. doctorquant

Wouldn't doubt that at all ... Still, the optics are bad.

9. Dick Whitman

Because if she answered everything Republicans would laud her for it?

10. doctorquant

Because even her supporters think she's fundamentally dishonest and, in this instance, lying through her teeth. Even if it's true that she doesn't remember (or perhaps never even knew), nobody believes her. It's almost like the whole alcoholics/denial bit ... "Of course that's what she'd say"

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have been, and I said something that cost me thousands of dollars because I didn't simply answer the question and shut up as I was told. Being deposed is nerve racking.

All the foofah about HRC saying "I don't recall"... how many questions did they ask to get to that number? How many times when they asked and she said "I don't recall" did they rephrase and ask the same thing from a slightly different angle, getting the same answer?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Both major party candidates are dishonest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.