1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Good think that Hillary did not go to The West Indies festival instead:
    [​IMG]

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, the Washington Post is running an Internet opt-in poll conducted by SurveyMonkey of all 50 states and about 75,000 respondents that was conducted the last three weeks of August. Results are a remarkable combination of the predictable (big Clinton lead in California, big Trump lead in Oklahoma) and the utterly insane (tied in Texas and Mississippi? Sure, whatever you say). Still a few bugs in the methodology, I'm guessing.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How The Washington Post-SurveyMonkey 50-state poll was conducted

Sounds like a lot of work and gobbledy-gook to fix something that wasn't broken:

The Post has generally avoided citing results from non-probability Internet-based surveys such as SurveyMonkey, as it is impossible to draw a random sample of Internet users, and random selection is a widely accepted standard in drawing representative samples of any population.

As Internet-based surveys have proliferated, research has grown on the ability to make accurate population estimates from these non-probability samples. Several benchmarking studies have found that probability sample surveys produce smaller errors than samples from opt-in, non-probability surveys. But research has also found that some non-probability methods have been more accurate than others. The Post has continuously reviewed this evidence with an aim of developing a standard to determine which non-probability techniques are useful and appropriate.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hillary used to march in parades.

5. Michael_ Gee

Conducting these polls by this method costs maybe one-twentieth as much as doing it by conventional random sample telephone polls. That's why they did it. Also, I guess when your boss is Jeff Bezos, there's an institutional tendency to try the Internet for many things.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have to admit I'm a little surprised that many Trump supporters know how to use the Internet.

7. Michael_ Gee

Haven't years of newspaper comment threads taught you that ANYBODY can figure out how to use the Internet?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Serious answer: Who cares?

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So did Sadat.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that Wash Post poll was an internet poll. Totally meaningless, then.

11. YankeeFan

Bill marched in Detroit.

Hillary went to the Cleveland parade, but didn't march. Sorry, but that's odd -- especially for a candidate looking to put rumors about her health to rest.

12. YankeeFan

They don't normally partner with Survey Monkey -- though NBC does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.