1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agreed.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've never seen so many arguments against news gathering before.

This campaign really is the end of journalism.

We've seen arguments for making less records available via FOIA.

We've seen the WaPo editorial say they're sick of Hillary's emails.

We've been lectured to that Hillary's health should not be looked into.

And, even today, we have journalists criticizing those who simply want to get to the truth, and who think the Clinton's first instinct -- to lie -- doesn't serve them, or the public, well.

Earthman likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe you should wait until there is a second report. Then you might be fooled less by the Mike Pances of the world.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Depends how you look at it

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is what I think: The video isn't good, especially for those of us who follow EVERY SINGLE TWIST AND TURN of the race. I asked my wife what she thought about it this morning and she didn't see what the big deal was, in part because she didn't know about the allegations that she's been CONCEALING her illness. I think we are clearly in the minority when it comes to knowing every single detail about the election. So how big of a deal this becomes depends on if something like it occurs again. And if it does happen again, then the Dems have a real dilemma. No, they're not going to make her step down or anything like that. But the pressure to have some kind of doc examine her will be enormous. It pains me because I'd rather have her in a wheelchair being carted around the country than him in office. But it's going to be a thing, and that's exactly why her staff was quiet for an hour, and have now released two statements. Both might be true, but what happened today played right in the hands of the alt-right fringe, and they knew it would.

The whole thing makes me fill ill.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As I said, if you had posted it with a disclaimer acknowledging that it was flimsy and based on one anonymous source, you would have been fine. But you didn't. You linked a story as fact even though it represented everything in journalism that you constantly whine about on this board. And now you want to say you were only posting it for discussion. Sorry, but you don't get to dodge like that without being called out for your hypocrisy.

The truth is that your standards go away when you want the story to be true, but you cry like a small child if stories you don't like fail to live up to your standards for journalism.

And please don't tell us you aren't demonstrating your joy over this story. Deskgrunt was right. You may not have reached the low that tony did when he praised the death of over 100 Muslims in an accident as proof that G-d exists, but taking pleasure in another human being's health issues, whether they be serious or not, is pretty darn low.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm no medical professional, but couldn't someone sick with pneumonia be affected by the weather?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Earthman

If you have pneumonia flying can be risky. You could get a clot

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

On the bright side, this is the first time many of you have ever given a damn about a women's health, so that's progress.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Earthman

Those polyester pants suits can get pretty hot.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The idea that journalists (and the public) should defer to privacy concerns regarding a presidential candidate -- and one of the oldest candidates we've had at that -- is wacky. It's a clear sign that one side is cheering for the party, and I'm not talking about YF's side.

We talked about McCain's health. A lot. We talked about H.W.'s health in the Clinton race -- remember when he vomited and fainted in Japan? OH MY GOD. Lord knows we talked about Reagan's health.

And, also, pneumonia ... that's no joke in a 70-year-old. If your mom had pneumonia, the doc would keep her off her feet for weeks at least.

Double Down likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If it had actually been hot and humid, yes, but the campaign clearly engaged in a clumsy attempt to cover for Clinton and failed. It isn't on the level of some of the massive fuckups by the Trump campaign, but it was stupid.

It was perfectly reasonable for the campaign to avoid disclosing the fact that she had pneumonia until it became necessary. Should they have done so sooner? Probably, but maybe this ends up working out well for Clinton. Of course, some folks like YF will assume the pneumonia diagnosis is a lie, but for more reasonable people, it could provide an explanation for the coughing fit and today's incident. Better a relatively short-term illness than speculation about a chronic condition of some sort.

This is assuming she is able to recover relatively quickly. As LTL correctly pointed out, pneumonia is serious stuff for a 70-year-old. I know all to well how quickly things can take a nasty turn for somebody that age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.