1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't argue he hasn't gained on her, but I'd argue the scale of the gain is slightly overstated. I'd also argue momentum is a fun word we use when we want to make things seem more volatile and make some shift sound like it'll have more longterm impact when that part is kind of up in the air.

He's no doubt gained in the "nowcast," but some of that was to be expected. The farthest extremes in a model are most likely outliers. By sheer force of math, that mammoth lead was going to shrink, much like a team ahead by three scores at the start of a football game isn't going to maintain that pace.

As for "momentum," how much of it is tangible and how much is narrative to keep us entertained? Momentum implies that if you have it, it will keep rolling your way, but is that really a thing? Clinton had all the momentum in the world, and it didn't stop this. Trump had tons of momentum in late July and it swung back hard in two weeks (went from a lead of just under 11 percent to deficit of 92 percent). Shoot, move the start point At this point, it's like a team down 20 in a basketball game cutting the lead to 9. You've got all that momentum, but you still need another big push or two.

We've got six more weeks, which means a few more shifts in the narrative and polling pendulum,

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's Hillary Clinton. She could propose no-taxes-for-the-1-percent, overturning Roe v. Wade, prayer in school, elimination of the EPA, FDA, and DOE ... and Republicans would still support Trump 9 to 1.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again: For many conservatives, this race comes down to two words. Supreme Court.

old_tony likes this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Profound.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It is what it is.

That's deep, too. At least, Bill Parcells said it was.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You didn't write that!

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Same can be said for liberals.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There is no conservatism in the Republican party anymore. The entire thing has been abandoned in pursuit of a lunatic who thought he was maybe a Democrat just a few years ago. Deficits are evil! This is a line we cannot cross! No wait, I like Trump's plan to quadruple the deficit with public works projects and totally reckless government spending!

If he's elected, he's going to screw over all his sad cheerleaders here. He's going to screw over Coutler when everyone realizes it would cost between $400 and $600 billion to round up all the brown people she hates and drop them on Mexico's doorstep. He'll screw over the Religious Right, he'll screw over Christie, Pence, Ryan, everyone. There will never be a wall. There will never be anything except a scheme to line Trump's pockets. The idea that this any of this represents conservatism is such a fucking joke.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not as important to liberals. They already have four votes plus the swing. Conservatives are down one and desperately attempting to fill Scalia's spot to tie it up (though they're usually one down anyway when Kennedy veers left). Plus the logical next on the retirement list are Ginsburg, Breyer and Kennedy. In a Democratic administration, all three could retire and safely pass the baton to lock the seat up for the next 25 years. In a GOP administration, they can just keep going.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drove across the heartland of Virginia from Richmond to Smith Mountain Lake today. Saw zero Hillary signs. Saw at least a dozen Trump signs. Unfortunately for him, this part of Virginia really doesn't matter. It's all NOVA and Tidewater. And Richmond isn't going to go against their native son Kaine.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I disagree. The impending retirements/deaths of Ginsburg, Breyer and Kennedy is EXACTLY why it's important to liberals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.