1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I never ended an email with "Best Regards" until I got out of newspapers and into the golf industry.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've stopped writing and saying "reach out" and instead am consciously making an effort to say "get in touch."

It feels completely rebellious.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the election were held today, it'd be very, very close. A real coin flip. But the election isn't today, which is good as I have other things to do. Clinton's first priority is to reassure voters about her health, which is relatively simple as either she's healthy or she's not. It's out of her control. Trump's priority is different. He must, as Reagan did in 1980, reassure the large majorities who see him as risky (NYT poll) and/or unqualified (Quinnipiac poll). Reagan had a reassuring personality. Calm certitude hasn't exactly been Trump's calling card in this campaign. Not saying he can't do it, but he'll have to throw a new pitch.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like liverwurst.

old_tony and JC like this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In politics, everyone "reaches out". I fucking hated that term, and tried to never use it.

6. Dick Whitman

The Hillary near-collapse would have been much easier to overcome if she didn't spend the rest of her existence being hustled into and out of rooms by Huma and the rest of her protective force. We have been given a single unguarded, unscripted glimpse of her and, in that glimpse, she nearly took a header onto a Manhattan street.

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  7. YankeeFan

The debates will help him. It's an opportunity to look presidential, and thus acceptable.

Even his rise in the polls becomes self perpetuating. As he rises, more people consider the very real possibility of a Trump presidency, and realize it's not so scary.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Even though he does nothing to project that image? People are stupid. Very, very stupid.

JC and Ace like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

But there's also the chance they'll see it as scarier than they thought. That's the risk for him.

10. YankeeFan

You don't see it because you don't want to see it.

11. Dick Whitman

Yes, he does. He acts exactly like a lot of people fantasize about acting if they were wildly rich. It's endearingly ostentatious. He acts like a Beverly Hillbilly. He's not the asshole at an art exhibit.

Big Circus and YankeeFan like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or you do you see it because you want to see it.

He's second-generation money, but he acts nouveau riche. I guess that's the ticket to this false"working man image" some see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.