1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Inky can't see this, so someone should pass it along. "Common Ground" by Anthony Lukas is an enlightening book re: this thread's latest detour.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In your world, do Republicans do anything? Or are they always steamrolled, hoodwinked, roffied and buggered by Democrats?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They don't want their kids going to school with poor black kids.

That's based both on race and class.

They don't get a pass and pretend that that they have the high moral ground vs. white suburban soccer moms who are receptive to Trump's "pandering".

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another undercovered issue of this election. The significant probability IMO that winning the election will lead to the winner losing their Presidency in short order. Neither is likely to be granted much of a honeymoon period by a skeptical public. If Clinton wins, it'll be because the decisive bloc of voters were risk-averse. But as GHW Bush showed, that means any untoward event (and there's bound to be some) and her standing will plunge to loser depths. If Trump wins, it'll be because that same bloc of voters chose change against what they acknowledge is a risk. But what change? As we learned from Obamacare, change is very popular until it actually happens. Any blunder by Trump (and he'd make some, all new Presidents do) and his standing will plummet. Plus, polling shows right now that more people have a favorable opinion of Trump himself than of the Republican party. To the extent he initiates Republican policies, he will be making changes most folks say they don't want. You can do that, but it better pay off with peace and prosperity.

5. YankeeFan

But you can make the argument that he is stupid without making yourself look stupid

Unfortunately, the press has not realized this.

They've embarrassed themselves so many times with their ridiculous criticism, that they've inoculated him from real criticism.

The "he called it a bomb!!!"" episode was just the latest example.

The media melted down over Trump calling a bomb a bomb.

Who looked stupid there, Trump or the media?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids went to public schools.

My city has some of the most aggressive desegregation/busing policies in the country.

I have picked up my son's school friends in places in town that were, let's say, sketchy.

Do I get a gold star or something?

That said, in our town we have more private and Catholic schools that you can shake a stick at. In my experience, the more conservative you are, the more likely you aren't even considering sending your kid to a public school.

7. YankeeFan

In America's big cities? Republicans are mostly irrelevant.

New York City did turn around under Rudy Giuliani though. So there's that.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Parents choosing a better education for their kids is so stupid. These kids need to learn about the world. Just send them to the closest public school and focus on more important issues.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump was criticized because he said it was a bomb before authorities on the scene did. He guessed right. Presidents can't really afford to guess at all.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do believe that blacks live and go to school in mid-sized and smaller cities as well. Maybe those are all Republican-fueled utopias that the mainstream media is covering up.

11. YankeeFan

I heard Chuck Todd the other day talking about the urban/rural divide.

Trump is doing well in rural areas that are struggling. But, he's not doing well with urban whites. The cities are thriving. Wages are up. White urban voters, with their college degrees, and good paying jobs, just don't recognize the America that Trump describes.

And, while it's true to a degree, it also makes me laugh. The "income gap" is right in front of your nose Chuck.

Cities are thriving? Sure, for college educated whites. Are cities thriving for their poor black residents?

To say "income is up in cities" when it's not across the board is to ignore the real problems in America's big cities.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I guess popularity is relative when it comes to viewing Obamacare. I always thought that it was a very polarizing topic and never favored by the majority of Americans. To this day one of the most arrogant and dumb moves in the past 8 yrs was the Pelosi march.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.