1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reuters has Trump +2 in a four-way race and both candidates at 39 percent in a head-to-head race. That said, it looks like they've had it neck-and-neck for weeks now.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No one in flyover country has any idea who Samantha Bee is.

1% of America could pick her out of a lineup -- fewer if you put Amy Schumer in the same lineup.

But, she apparently skewers Trump, and in the absence of Jon Stewart, that's enough for the Times to take notice.

3. Dick Whitman

She was a "Daily Show" correspondent for years and years and years. I don't know who anyone who is famous is, and I know who she is.

You should probably just fold this hand.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

LOL. I've heard of her.

Jay Farrar was completely unfamiliar with a guy who wrote for National Review for years, has guest hosted Rush's show for years, was syndicated around the English speaking world by Conrad Black, and was engaged in a high profile lawsuit over climate change.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If we're doing it by numbers, that guy (I don't even remember who you're talking about) would not have had one-tenth the public reach of Samantha Bee, and it all would have been concentrated in one small sliver of the political commentariat.

6. YankeeFan

The demographics of that show are very particular, and the ratings are not high in the overall scheme of things.

7. Dick Whitman

And I wonder if they largely match the demographics of a certain newspaper that you appear to be endlessly amused is covering her.

8. YankeeFan

Yeah, but we weren't talking about a general audience.

The average person doesn't know who Samantha Bee or Mark Steyn are.

But, Jay considered himself politically informed. I know who all the liberal commentators are. He'd never heard of a very influential -- and very funny -- conservative writer.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Daily Show at its height drew 2M-3M nightly viewers. It was the highest-rated late night show among adults 18-49.

All of them know who Samantha Bee is.

10. Dick Whitman

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/us/politics/donald-trump-don-king-black-voters.html?_r=0

"If you are a talented intellectual, you are an intellectual Negro. If you are a dancing and sliding and gliding nigger, I mean negro," he said as he chuckled briefly and those in the racially mixed crowd laughed nervously around him.

A smile remained fixed on Mr. Trump's face.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I know who Don King is. Can I get my cross-ideological merit badge now?

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw this on FB:
    [​IMG]

"If I gave you a bowl of skittles and three of them were poison would you still eat them?"

"Are the other skittles human lives?"

"What?"

"Like. Is there a good chance, a really good chance, I would be saving someone from a war zone and probably their life if I ate a skittle?"

"Well sure. But the point-"

"I would eat the skittles."

"Ok-well the point is-"

"I would GORGE myself on skittles. I would eat every single fucking skittle I could find. I would STUFF myself with skittles. And when I found the poison skittle and died I would make sure to leave behind a legacy of children and of friends who also ate skittle after skittle until there were no skittles to be eaten. And each person who found the poison skittle we would weep for. We would weep for their loss, for their sacrifice, and for the fact that they did not let themselves succumb to fear but made the world a better place by eating skittles.

Because your REAL question...the one you hid behind a shitty little inaccurate, insensitive, dehumanizing racist little candy metaphor is, IS MY LIFE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF MEN, WOMEN, AND TERRIFIED CHILDREN...

... and what kind of monster would think the answer to that question... is yes?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.