1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Samantha Bee isn't a cheerleader for the progressive movement.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That article is more about how she went after Fallon.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I know Nate's got his methodology and all that....

And you guys came down hard on me when I suggested he skews slightly favorable to Trump....

But I don't get it.

I've seen polls that show Herself ahead in Florida, including one yesterday +5.

Nate shows Florida as pink.

What gives ?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nate's methodology has so many secret ingredients I can't tell you the answer, but basically he's working in the "fundamentals" that show all other things being equal, the Republican should win this year, plus, he accounts for what he finds to be pollster accuracy. The problem with that, as Wall Street says, is past performance is no guarantee of future results. I believe he is right that it's a close election today. The election isn't today. I can't link to it because I got it off a link from a site I forget, but there was a very smart post from a former Florida (Democratic) pol saying that Florida is close, has been close in every election since 1996, and will be close in elections to come, too. Backed up with much data. Basically, he thinks the winning margin in the state will be 100,000 or less no matter who wins it.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great points, MG, but you're contradicting yourself a little.

If past performance is no guarantee, why would Florida be guaranteed to be close?

I mean, sure, it'll be close...

But one would think in a year when Trump has snubbed Hispanics, this might be the year the margin is, as the latest poll indicated, a five-point spread.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think he tips the scales toward the underdog just to make sure he's covered. It's self-preservation: If he ever predicts a presidential election wrong, that's the end of him.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I haven't seen her be funny once, yet.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You're way off on this one, YankeeFan.

As Wolfe said in Pulp Fiction, "move out of the sticks, fellas".

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. poindexter

11. poindexter

Apparently ya don't.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This reminds me a little bit of when Colbert destroyed Dubya at the correspondents' dinner, and PowerLine referred to him as "someone named Stephen Colbert."

Lugnuts and YankeeFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.