1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Dems have nominated an incredibly unlikable candidate, with few actual accomplishments, who's spent the last several years trying to get on the right side of issues that she had previously taken now unpopular positions on.

And so, instead of trying to make an argument that Clinton is the better candidate, or that Trump isn't qualified, they've tried to make the argument that Trump is the most horrible person ever.

The problem with this is that America has known Trump for 30 years, and has mostly liked him.

And, not only does America like him, but Bill was a golfing buddy of his, and both Bill and Hillary attended his wedding. They liked him.

So the effort to demonize Trump has to be more over the top than ever.

Earthman likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree with all this. I said it was a mistake to make the Democratic convention Trump Fest 2016. In their bubble, they think that America is 300 million variations of Lena Dunham, running around offended at every microaggression. They severely miscalculated this.

Her own husband left a trail of extramarital affairs behind him that would have sunk any other candidate in history. You would think they would better understand, more quickly, that the same rules don't apply to every candidate.

3. YankeeFan

Some guy who was a national security advisor to Bush 41, when he was VP, endorsed Clinton yesterday.

He emphasized -- as others have -- that Trump doesn't grasp the complexity of the world.

And, I think this is a fundamental difference actually.

Trump, and many of his voters, believe we have over complicated everything. That issues aren't as "complex" as they've been made out to be.

Much of that is because America wants to please everyone. Wants to be loved. Is embarrassed to be a super power. Doesn't want to exert its leverage. Doesn't want to lead.

If you continue to patronize murderers, who don't acknowledge the right of Israel to exist, then yeah, the problems in the Middle East are complex.

When you choose sides, and lead, not so complex.

Earthman likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

You're wrong. It is complex. It's not easy to fight an ideology. Trump's solution is to "knock the hell out of them." Is that your solution to Middle East peace, as well? After centuries of strike, the "You're fired!" guy has it figured out?

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

If the past 8 years were even remotely effective for foreign policy standpoint Trump would have had trouble getting traction.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Stupid people don't know how the world works, so let's elect a simplistic moron as leader of the free world.

My son doesn't think the world is as "complex" as it's been made to be, either. Therefore, I think we should elect Nemo and Dory.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

That's what I'm saying, too. It makes people feel good about themselves to vote for another person who thinks things are simple. Leaves a lot more time to think about the Kardashians, guilt-free.

It's similar to why Ben Carson got traction for a while. After the recession, people's jobs didn't exist any more, and they wanted to believe that generally competent people should be hired in other fields, which they would figure out. Carson was a competent surgeon. Hence, voting for Carson was kind of a vote for themselves.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It probably is. Interestingly, the Nowcast of 538, the model for election held today, has Clinton winning popular vote, losing electoral vote. Wouldn't that be a fine mess?

10. Dick Whitman

I really hope he does a competent job as president. I don't want him to fail because I don't want the country to fail.

11. YankeeFan

I don't think there's a simple solution to the problems in the Middle East.

But identifying the problem is easy.

We have a murderous death cult, divided into two groups that hate each other, but who agree that Jews are subhuman, which holds power across much of the region.

It's been a problem for 1,000 years.

But instead of acknowledging the bankruptcy of political Islam, and uniting to send it to the scrap heap of failed ideologies, along with its equals of communism and fascism, we patronize it, and pretend we can work with it.

Political Islam isn't evil.

But Donald Trump is.

That's complex.

old_tony likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If he believes the job is easy, he will fail. That's a given. He will also have the chore of enacting policies that won't work because they stem from unrealistic promises his voters will expect him to keep.
    IMO the biggest problem in this country is that each half of the politically evenly-divided populace is viewing the other half with distrust that's growing ever closer to actual hate and fear. Countries like that have a very unhappy track record. I don't know if any President could ameliorate that problem, but I know one candidate liable to make it significantly worse.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.