1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Johnson is being as derelict with his responsibility as Trump has been. He owes it to the people who've nominated him to treat their nomination seriously, and to date that hasn't happened.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Johnson was the only current or former elected official to want the Libertarian nomination, so he got it. They'd have done much better with one of those high-tech rich guys from Silicon Valley. A Trump with real business accomplishments and less of a knack for insulting people.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was Johnson this out of it four years ago, but we just didn't notice it, or has marijuana taken a further toll on him over the last four years?

JC likes this.
  4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. If it hadn't been for Johnson, the party wouldn't have a good-to-excellent chance of getting federal matching funds next election. He's run a good campaign up to now. You can't blame him for making the kind of gaffe that Trump does every hour on the hour.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Don't know, don't care. He has yet to give me any reason to take him seriously. That's a pity, because this election cycle was an opportunity to put a third party on the map and allow it to build momentum for 2020.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

How effective could a Libertarian president be without any party backing in Congress? I've heard Johnson talk about bringing the parties together, but in today's political environment, that ain't happening, even on the simplest of proposals. I could see both parties digging in deeper to fight him.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

I also had hope for the Green party, but Stein is even loopier than Johnson.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If an independent were ever somehow to win the presidency, both established parties would team up to crush his nuts in a vise.

jr/shotglass and HanSenSE like this.
  9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Ehhh, I think he'd have a fairly easy time implementing the parts of his agenda that coincided with the party in control of Congress. I think a lot of his economic agenda would play with with a Republican congress. I can't envision a world where a Republican congress would pass up a chance to move the country right on economic issues.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

If she was willing to pose for playboy her psychi could not have been that harmed by trump.

For years we'be heard from feminist groups that Playboy is the ultimate in female objectification.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nobody was really paying attention to him four years ago.

Prior to his latest mis-steps, I think Johnson could make a not-wholly-unreasonable case that our expectation that the President be a MOAK* might be misplaced. I mean, the federal government is (and long has been) just covered up with people who have all these facts at the ready, and it hasn't exactly got a mile-long list of successes to point to in the foreign policy realm. Now you might argue that things would be even worse if we didn't have those people -- and I'd probably agree with you -- but if you do that you're really admitting that clinging to an edgy status quo might be the best we can hope for.

*Master of All Knowledge

12. HanSenSE

If the suit fits, wear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.