1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get your point, but the issue is perception. This isn't a logical argument regarding whether or not Trump has been right to avoid paying taxes. The issue is people looking at Trump not paying his share. He is bragging that what he did makes him smart and potential voters are dumb for not keeping up with him. It could easily be taken as Trump insulting a very large group of potential voters and that is why Clinton and her people want the focus on that statement.

Don't you think there are quite a few people who might vote for Trump simply because the don't like Clinton? What happens when those same people think Trump is insulting them?

Is this a simplistic interpretation of the situation? Yes. That doesn't mean it is incorrect.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Should have qualified. That's 6- 7 stories in first section what they call "top stories" .
    In total 12 - 15 daily.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This has been my take on it. Finding a way to legally not pay your taxes is the American dream. Most of us just aren't motivated enough (i.e., rich enough to where we save a boatload of money) or smart enough (i.e., have a team of high-priced lawyers and accountants on standby) to make it happen. Whoever wants to make the effort, though, can certainly find ways to reduce their liability.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the far better attack would be on him saying that he saw the housing crash as an opportunity, to which he replied, "That's called business."

Maybe she thinks more people can relate to the taxes issue - everyone pays taxes - than they can to losing their homes.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Do you think people will look at it this closely? Most of us do try to pay as little as possible but we still pay taxes and if "billionaire" Donald Trump didn't pay any tax it seems to not smell right. Isn't the perception bad for Trump despite his doing what most would do if they were able?

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Those inclined to vote from Trump are not going to be insulted by his ability to
    mitigate his tax liability. Everbody buys a lot of Apple products and they have written the bible
    on not paying taxes.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Like Dick pointed out, I think most people realize that the bigger the business and income the more loopholes and deductions can be found.
    Plus, if he was simply not paying his taxes then why haven't the Feds gone after him for evasion? They've never had a problem dropping the hammer on celebrities, and it's not like he just recently started using whatever tactics he's using. As near as anyone can tell he's just using the legal methods available to avoid paying more than he needs to. There's a big difference, and I think most people understand that.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's also the chance that the fucker ain't making any money and hasn't been for awhile.

Ace, HanSenSE and FileNotFound like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

We've had some Gary Johnson supporters here throughout this campaign.

I'm curious about where they are at right now? Still in his camp? Is your enthusiasm diminished at all in light of some of what has been revealed about his lack of international knowledge?

Alma likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

The transcript has long been public. Nothing to see here. They are worried about her using excerpts for a campaign commercial, as if she doesn't have enough material as it is.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Target rich environment. Dumpf is such a repulsive repugnant sonofabitch it's impossible to pick out the best one.

Oh yeah, don't forget: he fucks his daughter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.