1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dumpf keeps hammering that he's a man of action, a guy who can "get things done." I'm simply suggesting a way he could definitely "get something done."

Which would make America great again.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Interesting that he did it in Business Insider. That means it was probably aimed more at persuasion than turnout (vs. running it in Slam or something his young black fans would read).

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

On a related note, Durant has endorsed Obama.

4. Starman

He should have called out Dumpf, by name and in detail. Voting for that fascist should carry the same public stigma as wearing a T-shirt emblazoned, "I eat dog shit sandwiches."
    Especially among African-Americans.

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I did not say what Trump did was terrible. I explicitly recognized the limitations of the NYT's story. I made no value judgments about either candidate's use of the tax code. However, the premise of your link that they "used the same scheme" and claim that the NYT received a tax refund, therefore being a tax scofflaw, were incorrect. (For that matter, whoever said somewhere in this thread that a professional gambler couldn't have a NOL carryforward was also incorrect.)

The difference between a net operating loss and a capital loss is not semantics. It is completely different sections of the Internal Revenue Code addressing completely different situations.

Clinton's accountants were limited to using only $3000 of a large tax loss in the calculation of her taxable income, leaving her with a significant tax liability because she could not use that loss to offset her ordinary income. She can only use $3000 of that loss in each future year so it effectively will never wipe out her taxable income.

Trump, it appears, used a large tax loss to offset all taxable income because he was not limited in its use, with lots left to wipe out taxable income in future years.

Different transactions, giving rise to different losses, giving rise to different tax treatment, giving rise to very different tax results.

It is Erev Rosh Hashanah. I'm out of here and leave you all with this

6. Starman

Everybody takes tax deductions if they can. But it takes a galactic class asshole to take a billion-dollar writeoff and then piss and moan about low-income families not clearing enough to be subject to income taxes.
    And Dumpf, as we know, is just that class of asshole.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

They've been eating the Democrats' shit for five decades. Is there a shirt for that?

8. Starman

If you run right out to the T-shirt shop, I'm sure you can get "I Eat Democrats' Shit" shirts printed up in time for Nov. 8.

Maybe they can hand them out as door prizes at Dumpf rallies.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's what I was noting -- that you didn't say there was anything wrong with what Trump did. Have a great night.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Old Tony playing the role of the Washington Generals to Amy's Globetrotters.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He may need to have her boot surgically removed from his ass.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.