1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The issue isn't whether it is OK for Trump to take a net operating loss deduction. The question that should be the focus - but can't be answered without his release of the schedules that are part of his federal tax returns - is whether he did anything wrong in arriving at the $900 mm NOL.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. That's the vital next step that's absent: Did he really lose that money? The accountant in the story came off as credible.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's terrible.

Of course, If Apple pays more taxes, you pay more money for Apple stuff.

You cool with that?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether the operating loss as taken was legit, in terms of politics it will still be difficult to position a loss that big as an example of good business acumen. It will be a good topic of discussion for this week though. Probably a little bit better for Trump than Alicia Machado.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a vital step for sincerely interested people such as yourself and Amy. Most people see "crooked" based on the evidence at hand.

Which, in a sense, is OK. He is a crook in 100 different ways. Trump U alone is bad enough.

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I don't buy Apple products so yes I'm cool with it.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Conservatives don't like Apple?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You cool with all the new tariffs trump wants to impose on foreign goods?

9. Earthman

I would like to know if the IRS audited that return and if the full deduction was allowed.
    If allowed we could assume that he did nothing wrong.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Earthman

Interesting Peggy Noonan column
    The Politics of 'The Shallows'

"There is another aspect of this year’s media environment, and it would be wrong not to speak it. It is that the mainstream media appear to have decided Donald Trump is so uniquely a threat to democracy, so appalling as a political figure, such a break with wholesome political tradition, that they are justified in showing, day by day, not only opposition but utter antagonism toward him."

11. Earthman

I would need to know more about them but if it gives us better negotiating leverage
    than yes I am.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

However, as this is a board for journalists, ex-journalists, and laymen interested in the practice of journalism and the news media, I don't think we can discount the press's role in ushering people to that conclusion. People see "crooked" in no small part because the New York Times walked them there, and others followed, including Politico calling it a "bombshell." And I haven't even turned on my television for a couple days, other than to watch football. I can only imagine what's brewing there. It seems irresponsible, to me, as journalism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.