1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that was his implication, either, but I can certainly understand reading it that way. That was my gut reaction to reading the quote. I thought perhaps I was being oversensitive because I had a family member who suffered from PTSD, but upon a closer reading I'm not sure what exactly he meant. Your characterization is correct. Trump's inability to clearly get his point across led to a statement that could be taken in as offensive.

2. outofplace

His Tweets were an example of hypocrisy. And as others pointed out, this is just Trump taking a beating on public perception just as Clinton has many times during this election. The failure in judgement was to brag about this rather than realize that it would make him look bad.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yet, the Clinton Foundation is bad.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, is anyone who takes a tax deduction ineligible to complain about tha tax code?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If I recall, Mitt Romney paid more taxes than he needed to, essentially just to avoid this kind of pitfall. I'm sure the Clintons do, too.

It's absurd that you have to do that to run for president.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

He complained about people not paying taxes while he was avoiding paying taxes. He can certainly complain, but it makes him a hypocrite.

9. outofplace

But it shows an understanding of the importance of public perception, something a president should be able to grasp.

10. YankeeFan

He complained about them not paying taxes because of the tax code.

11. YankeeFan

That's a really dumb statement.

JC likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He must have grasped it better than 16 other Republican candidates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.