1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So OOP doesn't believe Trump understands the publics perception of him and the tone deafness in which he speaks could lead him to have purposely insulted these vets.

OOP may very well be right but doesn't anybody else see the irony in who is posting those thoughts? (Need a ruling from irony police)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    old_tony likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, get the fuck out of here with that.

He criticized McCain for being captured and being a POW. He didn't criticize his tax or immigration plan.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The original McCain comment?

No.

It was before the Iowa Family Leadership Summit:

Presidential candidate Donald Trump sparked yet another backlash among his fellow Republican candidates Saturday when he said that Sen. John McCain was only considered a war hero because he was captured - and seemed to mock him for that fact.

"He's not a war hero," Trump said at the Iowa Family Leadership Summit when moderator Frank Luntz brought up McCain, who spent more than five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

Immediately modifying his original remarks, Trump said, "He's a war hero 'cause he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?"

"Perhaps he's a war hero, but right now he's said some very bad things about a lot of people," Trump said.

Trump's comments continued a public spat with McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, which began when McCain said the business mogul had "fired up the crazies" when heheld a rally in Phoenix last weekend.

"This performance with our friend out in Phoenix is very hurtful to me," McCain told The New Yorker.

Trump: McCain only a war hero because he was captured

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's impressive how you frequently you're willing to debase yourself in explaining that what Trump actually meant is not what he actually said.

"I like people who weren't captured."

Yes, I'm sure he was merely saying "Why is all criticism of McCain out of bounds because of his service?"

He's typically a nuanced thinker that way.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Winners win

6. YankeeFan

No he did not. Watch the video at the link in my previous post.

He just responds -- defensively -- to Luntz telling him that McCain's a war hero, in a way that seems to imply that Trump is out of line for criticizing him.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not running for president. Does anybody else see the idiocy in the point JC is trying to make here?

8. YankeeFan

The very next thing he says is this:

"Perhaps he's a war hero, but right now he's said some very bad things about a lot of people,"
    Trump said.

So, he basically acknowledges that he's a war hero, but that it has nothing to do with Trump's criticism of McCain.

What's the point of Luntz injecting, "he's a war hero," into the conversation?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There are times when I wish Occam's Razor could be used to do real bodily harm ...

amraeder likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. Because "he got captured."

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody said McCain is above criticism because of his military record. The point is what Trump said about McCain. You keep trying to drag this elsewhere, but Trump criticized McCain for his war record. He said he liked people who don't get captured. You do understand the issue there, right?

12. YankeeFan

Trump's original criticism of McCain had nothing to do with his being a POW.

Here's what he said a week before the whole, "he's not a war hero," flap:

"How can I be tied with Jeb Bush?" Trump said at a rally at the Phoenix, Arizona convention center. "He's terrible. He's weak on immigration. Sanctuary cities. Did you know that he had five of them in Florida when he was governor?"

"We have incompetent politicians -- not only the president," Trump told the crowd, which, according to his campaign, numbered in the thousands. "I mean, right here in your own state you have John McCain.
    I just hate to see when people don't have common sense, don't have an understanding of what's going on. ... Some people don't get it and I don't think they'll be in office much longer."

Trump on Jeb Bush: "I don't see him as a factor"

And, this was McCain's response just days before Trump's comments:

McCain, who has long supported comprehensive immigration reform and was a member of the so-called Gang of Eight that successfully pushed immigration legislation through the Senate in 2013, has been at war with the far right in Arizona for years. “We have a very extreme element within our Republican Party,” McCain said. He then noted that he was personally censured by Arizona Republicans in January of 2014 and has been fighting to push out the extremists in the state G.O.P. ever since. “We did to some degree regain control of the Party.”

But McCain fears that Trump may be reversing those gains. “Now he galvanized them,” McCain said. “He’s really got them activated.”

McCain probably has more experience navigating the issue of immigration than any other national Republican politician. He has fought off right-wing challengers in Arizona primaries and run twice in G.O.P. Presidential primaries. He has occasionally reined in his enthusiasm for an immigration-reform plan that would include a pathway to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants—he hedged a bit during the 2008 campaign—but he has never abandoned the policy.

Many Republicans assume that Trump’s current position at the top of national polls won’t last, and McCain, who said that he last met Trump many years ago, pointed out that conservatives are starting to learn more about Trump’s liberal past. “He was a big Democratic supporter,” he said. “Some of this stuff is going to come out: he gave more money to Democrats than Republicans; he had Hillary Clinton at his wedding. You know, he’s attacking Hillary Clinton after she was in the front row of his—I don’t know which wedding it was.” (Trump has been married three* times.)

John McCain Has a Few Things to Say About Donald Trump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.