1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump had -- and was going to again -- criticized McCain over his immigration policy.

He had no intention of criticizing his war record, or his getting captured. He was pissed at the interviewer for trying to cut off his criticism of McCain, and he pushed back against the idea that criticism of McCain was off limits because McCain was a war hero.

The way he did it was poor. He shouldn't have said what he said, the way he said it.

But, he did not go in there looking to criticize John McCain's war record.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He didn't have to give a "full-throated apology," all he had to do was hedge a bit and say he didn't mean to disrespect McCain. But being the bitch he is, he can't ever back down to anyone, ever.

Killick likes this.
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How many people can take a $900 million loss and still be filthy rich? I don't know for sure yet what he's actually worth, but he's still worth probably half a billion.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Face it @YankeeFan ... if I'm agreeing with @Starman in opposing your position, you might want to re-think your position. :D

Inky_Wretch, Double Down and JC like this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That a whole lot of bullshit spin. Trump said an awful thing and didn't back down from it. Stop it.

Killick likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But he did exactly that. He is responsible for his statements whether he planned them or not.

Killick and HanSenSE like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've never thought Trump's all that a bag of chips when it comes to business, but his having taken a massive loss in a risky line of business 20 years ago really doesn't move the needle either way for me.

9. YankeeFan

He backpedalled away from his comments right after he made them.

While Trump did not apologize for his comments after the event, he sought to limit his message to McCain.

"I am not blaming John McCain for his capture. If he gets captured, he gets captured," Trump told reporters after he left the stage. "Many people get captured. They are brave men because they are in the field ... I like the people who don't get captured, and I respect the people that do get captured."

He also walked back his earlier remarks to say that "if somebody is a prisoner I would consider that person a war hero, but we have a lot of war heroes that weren't prisoners also, and we should give them credit too."

Captured or not, all our soldiers are heroes!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 18, 2015

He also issued a follow-up statement through his campaign, though it did not mention McCain's war record. Instead, Trump said he was "not a fan" of McCain because "he has done so little for our veterans, and he should know better than anybody what the veterans need, especially in regards to the VA. He is yet another all talk, no action politician who spends too much time on television and not enough time doing his job."

McCain's war record wasn't the only insult Trump hurled during the event in Iowa. He also said that he liked McCain less after his 2008 loss to then-Sen. Barack Obama, because "I don't like losers." And he said that McCain graduated "last or second to last" from the Naval Academy in Annapolis (McCain, in fact, graduated fifth from last).

Trump: McCain only a war hero because he was captured

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when Hillary said sexual assault victims deserve to be believed ... unless Bill was their assaulter.

11. YankeeFan

I'm already trying to reevaluate my take on the Kardashian theft, as Starman agrees with me!

This is all too much for me.

dixiehack and doctorquant like this.
  12. YankeeFan

Trump didn't necessarily apologize, but he certainly did walk away from his comments, and called McCain a hero:

During a radio interview Wednesday with Don Imus, Trump insisted that he did, in fact, apologize. “Well I’ve actually done that, Don,” he said. “You know frankly, I like John McCain, and John McCain is a hero. Also, heroes are people that are, you know, whether they get caught or don’t get caught — they’re all heroes as far as I’m concerned. And that’s the way it should be.”

Right After John McCain Demands Trump Apologize, He Fires Back With 10 Words That Say It All

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.