1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, what's an even worse look is taking a $2 deduction for each old pair of your underwear you left at a Goodwill store.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

For the record, John McCain isn't a war hero because he was a mediocre pilot and got shot down.

He's a war hero because the North Vietmanese tortured the living shit out of him for years and he still refused to give an inch, to read an anti-American statement on film, any of it. He took permanent physical damage under torture, and he has my respect for it. I might have voted for the 2000 McCain. I've lost a lot of respect for him politically since due to various positions he has taken, but the hero status remains.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I don't disagree but I guess if you can save money on taxes it is a "genius " move.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Al Capone didn't may taxes either and he had syphilis too

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Like cashing a 13 cent cheque

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No. I believe the "gaming" statement comes from cramming all those losses into one tax year. Which is also where he might be vulnerable for liability, but say not. It still runs counter to the idea of the master entrepreneur that's such a part of his image.
    PS: Some guy at the Tax Foundation said Trump's declared loss was 1.9 percent of ALL declared losses for 1995 in the USA. One guy lost one out of every fifty dollars lost! And they say the Braves had a tough year!

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump’s tax mystery points toward the dealings around his first bankruptcies

"In 1995, Donald Trump was in the midst of a spending spree. He had recently bought a 727 jet for personal use, added a skyscraper to his Manhattan real estate portfolio and snapped up properties in Telluride, Colo., and Palm Beach, Fla., financial records show.

That same year, he said he had negative $916 million in “federal adjusted gross income,” a claim that gave him the prospect of avoiding federal income taxes for years to come.

So how could he be thriving and avoiding taxes at the same time?"

"The disclosure also raises new questions about the degree of Trump’s personal financial involvement in the Trump Organization’s first four bankruptcies. Though he has repeatedly drawn a distinction between the Trump company’s bankruptcies and his personal finances, the tax documents indicate he may have used losses stemming from his bankruptcies to benefit his personal fortune."

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I saw this stat earlier. Stunning.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So it wouldn't be gaming if he'd spread that billion-odd over several years? That's ridiculous.

I don't know why people are so bent out of shape about this. Trump lost close to a billion dollars and saved some $300 million in taxes as a result. In no world, Trump or otherwise, is that a smart trade.

YankeeFan and Michael_ Gee like this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is no different than people getting pissed that Warren Buffett doesn't voluntarily choose to pay those taxes. It doesn't make you a hypocrite.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He should have run for president.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He'd have carried Illinois. Good start.

dixiehack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.