1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Mika realizing that Morning Joe is losing viewers by droves tries to make nice with Republicans by
    telling Hillary to get off her high horse.
    Mika Brzezinski Tears Into Hillary — ‘Get Off Your High Horse!’ [VIDEO]

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People keep saying this. Did he? They seem to be his audience. He's courting the people you keep saying he's complaining about. This isn't the Romney campaign.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

That one's pretty simple. Obama is in a position to change the tax code. Trump has not been.

Again, the reason that Trump didn't pay any federal taxes is very simple. He didn't have any income.

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

How do you know this from just seeing part of his 1995 return? Have you seen his later tax returns?
    Maybe his 1995 tax return was audited in 1998 and The IRS denied his $900 mil loss.

I bet the amount of property taxes alone that he pass to NYC is staggering.

6. Dick Whitman

I guess, but Scarborough gets paid $8 million a year and the show is pretty influential. I can't get enough of it and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's all above-board, too. He totally deserves the benefit of the doubt.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

I mean, I'm starting to kind of think it pretty much is. Don't you think a smoking gun would have emerged by now? How many reporters have been digging into the guy's finances for how many decades now? He seems to be pretty good about staying just within the law.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know this. I'm addressing Dick's question of why he's being criticized. Public perception is important here.

Also, since the GOP nominee did not deny it, and instead has said it "makes me smart," it sure sounds as if he did take the loss. If he wants to end the criticism and release his later tax returns to show he didn't take a $916M loss, he's free to do it whenever he wants.

The discussion has nothing to do with NYC property taxes, it's about federal income taxes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  10. Dick Whitman

This is such a circular argument!

"The public shouldn't be mad at Donald Trump's taxes."

"Yes, they should."

"Why?"

"Because the public is mad at Donald Trump's taxes."

YankeeFan and doctorquant like this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He gets no benefit of the doubt. None. Until I see it with my own eyes, I won't believe a single thing he says, or the media speculates, about his taxes.

12. Dick Whitman

Of course he took it, and he should have. Would you pay taxes on $1 billion that you didn't have to, by law?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.