1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't mean me. Some prominent posters have worked there, and they weren't all conservatives.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Trump's peak was an illusion, during which he was still losing, and he will underperform his polling just like the primaries.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A. You've been wrong about Trump, specifically about his "ceiling" previously

2. You are probably right here. The only bright spot is that he is running against a corrupt, and completely unlikeable, opponent. She's going to try and hide until election day, but she has to show herself at least two more times.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yes. I know other posters here have worked for the Washington Times. I wasn't being literal.

I need you to Justinsplain my post like you'd Trumpsplain a tweet from our orange overlord.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My fault for underestimating how much people are willing to normalize horrible ideas. Republican America is lucky it is outnumbered demographically.

Every time she "shows herself" at a convention or debate, she surges ahead further. You don't want her to show herself, you want right-wing ratfucking to dominate the news.

Double Down likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

We know she's corrupt, because of the stunning lack of evidence against one of the most congressionally-investigated individuals in our country's history.

I won't argue with the unlikable part, and I wish the Democrats had a better candidate. Still doesn't make me think Trump is somehow qualified to be President.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm also curious about voter turnout ... which gets tricky to measure, depending if you measure votes cast against "voting age population" or "voting eligible population." We've got a lot of felons out there, folks!

Anyway, here's the presidential election turnout since 1988, measured against VAP, according to the American Presidency Project:

1988: 50.15 percent
    1992: 55.24 percent
    1996: 49.00 percent
    2000: 51.21 percent
    2004: 56.70 percent
    2008: 58.23 percent
    2012: 54.87 percent

For 2016? I think we could drop below 50 percent again. There's way more disgust with the candidates than there was with Clinton the First and Bob Dole. And it's hard to gauge apathy when you associate with journalists and other "engaged" people, but it's been high for awhile.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THis is true and ultimately a fucking horrendous commentary on the American people. To actually have up right, everyday working Americans support this travesty of a mockery of a sham means a couple things.
    1) Hillary is a poor candidate, both substantitively and as a politician. But she has been demeaned, like Bill and the Obamas by right wing media for decades. Coupled with the normal medias' willingness to play along as Fox and Right Wing radio have legitimate points, if unartfufully crafted. So she has been portrayed for so long by so many to be the incarnation of evil for so many people, that they will literally vote for the devil rather than someone who is merely portrayed as the devil.
    2) Say what you will about the racist, homophobic, xenophobic and narrow minded Neanderthals that support Trump, but they are scared and angry beyond the understanding of the other side. Their legitimate concerns need to be acknowledged and not discounted. FOr these people, white privilege does not exist and hasn't for a couple of generations. For the most part they are a minority without standing. Their concerns and fears are legitimate. They are literally in many cases and figuratively in most others, the people that built this country, fought for this country and established a way of life which had been the envy of the world for 75 years.

They need to be taken seriously and not marginalized. If you do not, this country will fail on a spectacular basis. Russia will seem like a paradise.

Cosmo likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

For some reason, I think we can expect a very vanilla crowd at Sunday's event, not the usual circus one sees at a Trump event. Could make a difference.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only reason Trump isn't "corrupt" is that he has not been in public office. At his best he's shady.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

She tries just as hard as her sisters.

Ace and HC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.