1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So ... Tony says that Hillary Clinton "attacks rape victims." This is not a position unique to Tony. It was the central theme of Trump's debate strategy on Sunday night.

Assuming for the sake of argument that Bill raped Juanita Broaddrick, which I in no way, shape, or form concede ... has Hillary ever uttered a public word about her? A private word about her that's been reported? Anything that would support Tony's (and Trump's) assertion?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know that it is a winning political strategy, but in many ways it was both necessary and appropriate.

The country really hasn't dealt with Bill's behavior, or the way that his actions were enabled by the the very folks who should have supported his victims.

Let's take a look at what Goria Allred said just the other day:

Gloria Allred, a well-known women’s rights lawyer who was a convention delegate for Mrs. Clinton, said that digging up a woman’s sexual past was a classic shaming strategy.

“Most people are not nuns, and most people aren’t Girl Scouts,” Ms. Allred said. “That doesn’t mean they’re not telling the truth.”

Told of Mrs. Clinton’s support for hiring Mr. Palladino, she said, “If Hillary signed off on a private investigator, let’s call it a minus.” But she added, “It wouldn’t change my support for her because there are so many pluses for her, like her stance on abortion.”

“I’d like to hear from Hillary Clinton on the role she played.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/03/us/politics/hillary-bill-clinton-women.html?_r=0

That's just a pathetic, political, ends-justify-the-means response -- especially in 2016.

Bringing all this back up has also exposed the media, which has, for 20 years, tried to portray Bill's behavior has sexual "shenanigans" and consensual behavior. It's always tried to hide Hillary's role in demonizing the women Bill victimized.

My wife is 31. She thought Bill's actions were limited to his interactions with Monica Lewinsky. She had no idea about the rest of it.

The public's attitude about sexual harassment/assault has also greatly changed since 1998.

Bill Cosby has gone from America's grandfather, to a pariah; a sexual predator, who no one will stand up for -- all based on old allegations.

Yet, Bill Clinton remains popular. An icon. An asset for Hillary Clinton. Someone who elites flock to.

What's the difference between the two, other than that one is still relevant politically?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is a single, 40-year old rape allegation against Bill Clinton by a woman who denied it once already, under oath, and who has sacrificed her credibility with a cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs interpretation of a conversation with Hillary.

That's a little different than Cosby, yes.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"People" are talking...

5. MisterCreosote

Boy, Chris Kluwe sure is doing a nice job carving out some post-football relevance:

Dear Donald Trump: I played in the NFL. Here’s what we really talk about in the locker room.

I think the sign-off is my favorite part:

I've been in locker rooms, Donald, and you're the type of narcissistic, pants-soiling fecal eruption that just doesn't belong. Even football players are smart enough to know that.

Sincerely,

Chris Kluwe

Former NFL player, proud father of two daughters I’m afraid you would eagerly deport and/or molest, American citizen

6. YankeeFan

Trump would rather have Ryan withdraw his endorsement than try to stake out a neutral ground. Trump can use that to "run agains the establishment".

Ryan's current stance satisfies no one.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I like Ryan. I would (and will, if ever given the chance) vote for him for President. I think the reaction to his non-endorsement-endorsement is overblown, but I understand it.

He's ten .. no, a thousand ... times the man Donald Trump is.

9. YankeeFan

She's only ever been asked about Broaddrick once, as far as I can tell, and she claimed that her allegations had been proven false:

I would say that everybody should be believed at first until they are disbelieved based on evidence.

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Paul Ryan is not going to be President. In fact he may not be Speaker much longer. He will forever be stained by his association with Trump.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

He could've been. But he chose not to be.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No Walmart or Dollar General will be safe from burning and looting.

exmediahack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.