1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What you call the "rest of the conversation" was really nothing other than one non sequitur after another.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The contention here is that because you can come up with some meaning of Trump's words that are implausible but technically within the denotation, we can't use the only reasonable interpretation. This sort of argument is pretty much universally terrible.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Since my youngest was diagnosed, I'm pretty sure ALL OF US are on the spectrum in one way or another. Lord knows I would have been diagnosed if that testing was around in the '60s. We're all odd in our own special ways. Part of the human condition, yo.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rick, I think Dick is turning your sentence against you to prove his point about Trump's sentence. I think.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Try again.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what response your looking for. You and HC said that whether an unconsented-to kiss is sexual assault depends on the context. That's a reasonable point. I'm not sure that the rape advocacy movement would agree with it, but it's a reasonable point.

But it's far afield from the point that I care about: Donald Trump did not unambiguously brag about or confess to sexual assault, and Politico should not write that he did in a straight news story.

7. RickStain

I don't need to. I already nailed it.

8. RickStain

But he did. He described an action that was unambiguously sexual assault.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's not even in the top ten.

10. Dick Whitman

No, he didn't. He said, "They let you do it." That can very well mean that they grant consent. In fact, I would be interested to know how long it was between the time the tape first broke and the time the first publication termed it sexual assault. For something unambiguous, I believe it was quite a while.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

In fact, I'd be very interested to go back and see how long it was until someone on this board said he talked about sexual assault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.