1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The accusations are just that: accusations.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've been hearing a lot of evangelicals around here talk about how God uses evil men to achieve great good, and that is what they see happening with Trump.

It is amazing what people can rationalize when they want to.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"They let you do it" in the context of "When I see a beautiful woman I just start kissing her" isn't about getting or having consent. It is an expression of power.

I understand what you are saying. You're talking about how many angels dance on the head of a journalistic pin, arguing J-school philosophy. I'm talking about what real people heard that reprehensible cocksucker say with an arrogant smirk on his lips.

You're probably having fun baiting me. Shrug. I live in the real world. I don't get off on parsing his phrases. I'm not a lawyer, I'm an ordinary joe, and I heard what he said. He was in private, and he said exactly what he meant, no matter how he denies it now.

I'm not a proctologist either, but I know an asshole when I see one.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    TowelWaver likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It would be correct to write that Trump bragged about kissing and groping unsuspecting women.

Kissing and groping unsuspecting women is sexual assault.

5. Dick Whitman

That doesn't make it sexual assault, per se, and you certainly don't write it that way in a straight news story, like Politicondid.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

See the edited version of that comment above.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

None of the specific accusations have to be true for their examples to invalidate your horseshit interpretation.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The functional equivalent of Dick's argument is if someone said "I just take money out of people's bank accounts and they never say stop while I'm doing it." And we can't call that bragging about theft because it is theoretically possible that every person he took money from was secretly glad he did.

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Right. And while it is an eyebrow-raising statement, particularly in view of the stories from people who later came forward, those words don't necessarily concede assault or even lack of consent. As an editor, I wouldn't allow that leap in logic.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I said "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die," it would be correct to write that I bragged about a murder. This is true even if I don't think I'd be convicted, and it's also true if I'm full of shit and never killed anyone but was bragging about it regardless.

The tape isn't any sort of admission legally, which is clearly where Dick is coming from. But what he brags about doing is unquestionably assault.

dixiehack likes this.
  11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

"My son let me give him a bath."

"My wife let me buy a new car."

"Let" may mean consent. It's ambiguous here. You can't write it like Politico did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.