1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable with U.S. policy that exerts our influence abroad while protecting our sovereignty at home. Acting in our own self interest is an acceptable hypocrisy.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I agree. Up to the point where we start tossing around the "evil" adjectives to describe other countries simply acting in their own interest. And when we start manufacturing evil boogeymen abroad to justify some of the shit we want to pull.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, you really aren't, at least not when you post on this site.

4. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I disagree with old_tony on almost everything, I understand how heated the rhetoric gets here, and I know he can give as good as he gets. But it as a daily visitor to this board who participates sparingly it sure seems like he's always on the receiving end of things getting too personal.

His remark about liberal women was snarky, but he was somehow assailed for both hatefully generalizing a group of people on the basis of politics and attacking the daughter of a poster he didn't even know existed. I disagreed with his characterization, though felt the backlash was ironic given that "strong, liberal women" didn't need a chorus of defenders against someone if he was so clearly out to lunch.

Furthermore, people make jokes about the guy far worse than the liberal women crack. I've participated here for a few years, but maybe there's a running joke that I'm missing and apologize in advance if that's the case. But the whole "o_t is back from the bar" bit seems far more mean spirited than anything I've seen him say. My family has had some issues with alcoholism, would it be much different if I randomly claimed that anyone who made the "back from the bar" joke was personally insulting one of my relatives?

I don't want to sound preachy, nor do I want Starman to curse me out for being too kumbaya. Old_tony surely can handle himself and doesn't need me interjecting on his behalf. But I think it's weird that a guy who pretty much everyone agrees is wonderful outside of politics (or Making a Murderer) is dismissed as an unhinged lunatic when his biggest fault is being a passionate, outspoken conservative on a board of passionate, outspoken liberals.

Hopefully, I don't derail the topic too much, but it's been on my mind for a little while.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Just watched Ivanka Trump's interview. She seems like a well-adjusted, rational person. Smart and likeable.

Guessing she's secretly horrified by all the conspiracy nonsense going on right now.

Ivanka comes off so much better than the sons. They pretty much seem like rich jerks. But, I am biased. I'm going to condemn anyone who hunts big game for "sport."

I'm not anti-hunting or anti-gun (with limits). Hunting for food and population control is needed.

But the Trump sons proudly sport hunting? Yeah, they can fuck off.

gingerbread likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Been thinking the same thing. With Moddy's gross overreaction igniting the firestorm.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He didn't "attack" my daughter - I never claimed he did. He insulted her along with many other women with his close-minded, sweeping generalization. And, well, I can't explain this as fully as I'd like here but his line about not knowing she existed was bullshit.
    The best thing? I can no longer see his responses!!

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. My bad! I can't tell you how sorry I am about all that.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not super upset about it. Others have called her that, too. I'm just saying that, for some reason, it gets under my skin.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do we really want to pretend Old Tony's racism isn't a thing? Or not acknowledge that he is incapable of holding an intelligent conversation on politics?

TowelWaver and JC like this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ivanka comes off as level-headed and likable compared to her asshole pervert father.

Compared to normal humans, Ivanka comes off as an obtuse, oblivious, pampered rich bitch.

And guess what: SHE'S also responsible in part for all the incest jokes and speculation, because for years and years and years and years she's gone with Daddy to these talk show appearances, and she's sat there and giggled coquettishly as pig-ass dad slobbers over the topic of dating her and seeing her naked in skin mags, and never ever once has she said, "dad, that's not appropriate for you to
    Be talking about." Maybe when she was a teenager you could say she was intimidated by daddy, but she's 33 now. If she had any problems with daddy describing her as "a piece of ass," it's well past time she should have said so.

The fact she hasn't, at very least, indicates she's ok with the talk -- or, that it's true. With one sentence, she could have put it to a screeching halt forever.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    gingerbread likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.