1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What a depressing debate.

This felt like sitting in on the final mediation session between an older couple before the divorce is final.

He's beaten down from alcoholism and bad financial choices.

She's overly convinced that selling essential oils to her friends will maintain her standard of living.

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

"Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government; or

Whoever, with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of any such government, prints, publishes, edits, issues, circulates, sells, distributes, or publicly displays any written or printed matter advocating, advising, or teaching the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States by force or violence, or attempts to do so; or

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction."

18 U.S. Code § 2385 - Advocating overthrow of Government

gingerbread likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And now the news ...

4. Riptide

Trump told moderator Chris Wallace he will let us all know on election night whether he is going to accept the results of the Nov. 8 balloting. It was a shocking and cravenly irresponsible thing to say, the sort of thing that threatens to rend our national fabric, and for that alone, Trump has earned his place in the history of American ignominy.

But who needs to wait? Consciously or not, the guy ceded the race. Live. On television. On Oct. 19. ...

He refused to do other things as well — like concede the fact that the Russian government is attempting to interfere with the election. Hillary Clinton said three times that 17 different US military and intelligence agencies have determined that this is so. Due to his truly bizarre unwillingness to say anything really negative about Russia’ dictator, Trump just said no to that — and handed Hillary her sound bite of the night: “He’d rather believe Vladimir Putin than the military and intelligence people who are sworn to protect us.”

Donald Trump just ceded the presidency to Hillary Clinton | New York Post

gingerbread likes this.
  5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

There's no proof that either Hillary or someone from her campaign purchased nastywomengetshitdone.com. It appears it was purchased by an astute anonymous person who then redirected it to her campaign site.
    People who hate her find the dumbest things to mock.

Killick likes this.
  6. gingerbread

7. Riptide

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    gingerbread likes this.
  8. gingerbread

swingline and Riptide like this.
  9. Riptide

Dan Rather:

There has been a silly trope floating around the coverage of the Clinton campaign about "likeability". Many critics have claimed that the very notion is sexist. I agree. Yet tonight, Clinton seemed to throw those worries aside. There were fewer anecdotal flights of storytelling about her interactions with "average families" that you often hear about on the stump. Clinton was steely, determined, forceful. I think this will be the tone of her presidential face, and I think it is one she wears well and naturally.

Clinton hit Trump hard on issue after issue with knowledge and facts - on Russia, the Supreme Court, nuclear weapons, immigration, and the list goes on. You could disagree with her on policy, but you can’t question whether she knows what she’s talking about. One big line that I think will play on was in the dust up over Russia. Who would have thought that years after the end of the Cold War the specter of Russia would loom over an American presidential campaign? But there you have it. When the discussion turned to Wikileaks and who was responsible for the hack, Trump, disagreeing with the assessment of the U.S. intelligence agencies, said we don’t know who is behind it. Clinton fired back - He would rather believe Vladimir Putin than the military professionals and intelligence officials. It’s a line you could expect from Ronald Reagan.

By contrast, Trump has been skating through the campaign on buzzwords and applause lines that fire up his base. Tonight the format asked for more substance and he struggled. He often left topics dangling, meandered through head-scratching sentences, and fumbled with thoughts that went nowhere - all lines of thoughts wavering in the wind. Often his most cogent statements were cheap shots. When he would stop talking, I sometimes had to ask myself what was he talking about?

swingline likes this.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I missed the debate because I was at a concert. All of the post-debate coverage I've read is from the perspective that Trump actually wants to win the election. I'm less and less convinced every day that he does.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Subtract all posts by Starman and possibly Baron. Has anybody else made that claim? It certainly hasn't happened "hundreds of times" if you remove Starman from the equation.

I think most posters who are not Trump supporters actually acknowledge that there might be other reasons. Now have there been posts suggesting that all Trump supporters that aren't racists are voting for him because they blindly vote Republican no matter what happens, they hate Clinton or they are sexist? In other words, all of the motivations are negative in one way or another? Yes, there have been posts like that by people other than Starman.

To answer your actual question, yes, it is wrong to say all Trump voters are racists. They do, however, have quite a few racists on their side.

12. Riptide

Starman's posts are highly entertaining. Comic relief is good for this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.