1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I agree. I think he is going to win.

(This is fun)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think he's going to win. But it's irritating that he's not behind by 15 points in every damn poll at this point.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think what you said or implied was that liberal women aren't strong enough to do things on their own. It was a generalization, and it was highly inappropriate. My liberal mother put herself through grad school in the 1950s. I, too, found your remark offensive.

Moderator1 and TowelWaver like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The grace of a concession speech isn't the issue. The issue is the fear that, in lieu of a concession, he will encourage insurrection.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

In an election overflowing with false equivalencies, the comparison between Gore supporting a recount in one abnormally close state and Trump calling the whole election rigged might take the cake.

And Gore did concede the election when recounts were exhausted.

If this election is that close, Trump is within his rights to delay concession while those avenues are explored. That seems very unlikely at this point.

Lugnuts likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But all I'm saying is that, now with 2000 as precedent, it makes some degree of sense to say something along the lines of, "Yes, I intend to accept the results. But you never know what could happen."

8. Human_Paraquat

Here's Trump's other problem with running out the "rigged" bogeyman this far from the election.

Let's say he makes a surge for some reason and closes in some swing states. Add in polling errors that underestimated his support. Now the election is deadlocked, and it all comes down to one state. That state is eventually called for Trump, but it's close enough that Clinton's campaign wants to recount/challenge/etc.

He has to support that, right?

9. Human_Paraquat

I think it's worth noting that wasn't what he was saying just a few months ago. It's what he's saying now, when the cold, hard truth of consistent polling data is sinking in.

Also, the 2000 recount was largely about an unreliable balloting/counting method in one state. That's what was contested, not the very nature of the election itself.

Trump may try to say he's only following Gore's lead, but there's a YUGE difference.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It appears there were violations of the Internal Revenue Code that would trigger an excise tax. The normal statute of limitations is 3 years, but this violation for omitted excise likely falls under the six year statute. Unlikely the IRS could prove fraudulent returns were filed with the intent to evade tax, in which case there is no statute of limitations.

My guess is they didn't know the rules and/or didn't care about the rules and/or were playing the audit lottery.

While I never advise a client that playing the audit lottery is a valid tax planning strategy, I recognize it is one frequently used by taxpayers.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, then it's too bad he decided to act like a petulant first-grader and deny the legitimacy of the entire American electoral system instead.

That's why your comparison to Gore is ludicrous.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Yep, but I don't recall Trump saying anything like that. So...WRONG!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.