1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

2000 wasn't the first time. Even while Nixon maintained some distance from the process after the 1960 election, the Republican Party challenged the results at the state level in several places. They lost every step of the way.

There is a fundamental difference between challenging the outcome and challenging the legitimacy of the process.

I don't think we're in danger of a civil war breaking out behind General Trump by Christmas. I think that if you take a long view of history, there's a lot of danger in breaking down the unwritten rules that underpin society. Maybe decoupling serving in the army from land ownership doesn't cause the Roman Republic to fall in a day. And maybe the tribune of the plebes got their powers back later after being temporarily stripped by Sulla. But with the benefit of history we can connect those dots to the fall of the Republic a couple of generations later. All of which was probably fueled by the battle between conservatism and liberalism in a society trying to govern itself by rules written before it became a superpower in an extremely short period of time.

Yes, some of John Kerry's surrogates tapped into the alt-left's conspiracy theories about Diebold, but no that does not meaningfully compare to widespread denouncing of the legitimacy of the election by a major party candidate the entire month leading up to the voting.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The last gasps of a dying campaign.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

By the Fox News guy?

Lugnuts and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fox must hate Roger Ailes and friends for some reason.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I figured it was an attempt at discrediting the competition for Trump TV.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Hillary Clinton accepts the results of the 2000 election:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton compared Nigeria's corruption and electoral problems with the 2000 Florida presidential election recount during a town hall meeting today in Abuja, Nigeria.

Answering a question about Nigeria's recent election, Clinton said, "In 2000, our presidential election came down to one state where the brother of the man running for President was the governor of the state. So we have our problems too."

Hillary Clinton Compares 2000 Florida Recount to Nigeria's Rigged Elections

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You're silly.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    OOOOOOHHHH I HATES RIGGED ELECTIONS!!!

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm silly?

Hillary Clinton compared our election to those in Nigeria. She did this in Nigeria, where they have serious concerns about the integrity of their elections.

Even today, Africans cite the 2000 U.S. election as an example of how they believe every country rigs elections. During the 2007 disputed election in Kenya, which spawned bloodshed killing more than 1,000 people, supporters of the new controversial president would readily admit he was rigged into office, but would point out that so was President Bush. "You don't see Americans killing each other over it," one Kenyan businessman said. "They accepted the rigging and moved on."

old_tony likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.