1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It wasn't that long ago that smart phones didn't exist. How many other things are an important part of our lives that didn't exist 10 years ago? Or 20 years ago? That isn't a good reason to discount them as improvements. Just because we got by without something in the past doesn't mean that thing isn't worth having.

I am disappointed that anybody could say that it isn't wrong to make it more difficult to vote, especially in situations where it seems like the change was motivated by politics or racism. (To be clear, that wasn't directed specifically at you, Batman. I've heard that elsewhere and I believe DQ posted it on this thread.)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We're talking about racism or political maneuvering, or perhaps a bit of both. These aren't just preferred times or places. As others explained very well on this thread, they are necessary options for people facing challenges with transportation, health or work schedules.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with that. Two weeks early is plenty of time. Perhaps three for absentee or mail in.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

My mom is 83 with a bad wheel and not the best eyesight. She is still doing well but age is catching up. If it wasn't for early absentee voting she would not vote. She is nervous about making a mistake and I would not want her to stand in line for hours. She spent 40 years as a teacher and was brilliant and it would be terrible if she was not able to vote. We should make it easier to vote, not more difficult.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

IIRC, the early votes are not counted until Election Day with all the others. Now, you can do exit polls on early voting, I suppose, but I don't know if that would constitute a very representative sample.

Michigan (where I grew up in and lived until 16 months ago) does not have early voting of any kind. Minnesota doesn't either, though I am told an absentee ballot can be obtained with minimal rationale. EDIT: As far as I can tell, one can vote in person with absentee ballot in Minnesota, but I'm fine with showing up on election day.

One sneaky plus of early voting that I was not previously aware of is that, though who you voted for is secret, whether or not you have voted is a matter of public record, and once you're in the system as having already cast a ballot, you are dramatically less likely to get political calls and such.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Voting for our leaders, whether city, county, state or national is fundamental to what it means to be an American citizen. Black Dem from Philly or Redneck Trump voter in lower Alabama, everyone should get a good solid chance to cast their ballot. Period. Things change. If we can make that process easier, by all means do so. That's not trying to open the process to fraud, just to enfranchise anyone who wants to vote.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I just wouldn't use example from a time when some people had real difficulties even voting on Election Day to defend limitations on early voting.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Would you make it a national holiday?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

“A monkey with a high fever has better business sense than he does,” Douglas McGrath

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure. But the gap between "a little extra" and "little less extra" does not disenfranchisement make.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We have an all-mail ballot here in CO. I've had my ballot sitting in the kitchen unopened for nearly a week and I'll fill it out on the weekend before Election Day. Ballots have to be received -- not postmarked -- by 7 p.m. on Election Day. Mail it in or there are several drop-off locations across the city/state. It has worked quite well. I've always voted early via absentee just to avoid the lines and hassles on Election Day. I'm fine with early voting, I guess, but it's been in place for many years via absentee ballots. If you want to vote, there are several ways, not just in CO, to get it done.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Beats some others that we have.

franticscribe and Alma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.