1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

BTW, here are some of the above runway models who think Hillary's so ugly...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

SnarkShark and Dick Whitman like this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think this is the first one of these I want to unpack a little bit further.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Look: there's no reason to try and cover more/all Americans beyond it being "the right thing to do." Someone is going to have to sacrifice a buck or a choice or their healthcare wish dream to make it work.

Mental health care in america has been a joke for a long, long time. We throw drugs at it, hope it works, if it doesn't well, shit, good luck to the "crazies" and their loved ones who have to put up with decades of abuse.

The dime store plans that many Americans were using ignored that area of health coverage - because who thinks they need "help," there, right? - so, as a result, the pool was smaller and the cost higher. You have entirely ill-equipped EAP outsourcing - which only people with jobs can access, and at that 1-2 times - or under qualified non-licensees trying to get their hours in for licensure while working at non profits like catholic social services. The system is a boondoggle and the worse the problem gets, the more we'll see the impact.

I'm not claiming obamacare is Cure all. It's not. But nothing will be unless at least some of us - and especially insurers - decide to have it a little worse so others can have it better.

When someone says "instead of a vacation last year, we had to pay more in health care premiums" I fight the urge - because I'm still 2% decent, I think - to say "and that, in grand scheme, is OK, because it's for a greater good." People don't want to hear that or live that. They want their vacations. I don't blame them. I like them, too.

But where does "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" come into play? Does it? If we agree health care is a mess, and that it's a moral imperative to fix it, do we think we can fix it and be more financially viable our own selves? That doesn't seem possible.

if we had zero interest in moral courage, wed repeal the law and sell plans across state lines, which would Invariably lead to predatory policies out of some low-regulation state that leverage the poor and the sick.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of course you're right, Alma, but Americans don't think that way. Freedom has become "my way." Sacrifice has been a dirty word in American politics since the 1970s. The idea of a common good itself is "controversial," meaning, gets in the way of profit. It's why, as 2016 has shown, constitutional democracy is running on fumes. Sooner or later the angry dumb white male minority will win complete power and enact its deepest wish -- to live in misery as long as others they dislike are even more miserable.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Who sacrifices his/her vacation if the $3,200 CAT scan drops to a more realistic $500? If the 9-mile ambulance trip drops from $1,100 to $200? That's my first choice. :)

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Alma, can I send you the address of a few folks I know who are really hurting financially, and could use your help? I am tapped out and I'm sure you don't need ALL of your next few paychecks. It's for the greater good, so I can't imagine it being a problem.

Batman likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That ship has sailed.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Do you even have the first clue how profitable health insurance is? Here's a hint: Not very.

You ... and many others ... are living in this fantasy land in which the only thing keeping us from puppies-and-unicorns health care are those dastardly profit-seekers. What's keeping us from puppies-and-unicorns health care is that such a thing isn't possible!

P.S. I think you're selling yourself short. You're way the hell more than 2% decent. Misinformed, sure ... lacking decency, no.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just a necessary stepping stone to the public option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.