1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I assume Putin is willing to work with her in the position of what's best for Putin and Russia.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The other side of the political aisle in the U.S. would no doubt embrace her working with Russia "from a position of equality and mutual respect."

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The alt-right wackos are all in on the Brexit angle right now ... basically calling out all of the polling. Convinced their guy is going to win.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I get your whole Russkie wife thing and how you insist on this across-the-board equivalency because of it.

But you do understand that he is in fact a war-mongering dictator who has his political enemies killed, right? I mean, I know wingnut memeland says that's what Hillary is ... but in actual fact, that's what Putin is.

Double Down and Riptide like this.
  6. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the last stage of the political Kubler-Ross cycle, questioning the polling.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If there's a shooting war, which side will you be on?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Coming up with reasons why the polls are wrong is just something people do when their candidate loses. Sam Wang had a good article about it it recently, describing the motivated reasoning.

If people who believed the brexit things were the type to believe in evidence, you could point out:

1) Brexit led remain in 15 of 27 polls in the final two weeks.

2) US polling is much more robust, especially because of state-level polling

3) Early voter and registration data gives us a way to corroborate the polls. They are consistent with a strong, probably insurmountable, Clinton lead.

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And why not? The Republicans and Putin both have so much in common -- they hate the media (although only Putin has been known to kill them), they hate their political enemies (only Putin has been known to kill them), they hate free and open elections (although only Putin rigs them. Oh, wait, I forgot about voter suppression laws enacted by Republican legislatures).

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I definitely find it plausible that there is some degree of polling miss in Trump's favor and those expecting a Clinton blowout are disappointed.

The Republican-run Remington Research Group had a set of state polls today that were the best we've seen for Trump in awhile, at least five points better in most states. It gave him Ohio and Nevada and North Carolina, plus tied in Florida. These would be consistent with the Rasmussen/IBD interpretation of the race.

That is probably the wet dream scenario for Trump, but the problem is he still loses even then.

cranberry likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, with the current 538 map, those all flip his way, he's still only at 266.

12. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Is this about the point where BT trots out his "we interfere in their elections too" trope and cites as evidence the "secret" American interference in Boris Yeltsin's election, which was so secret that the "operatives" in question talked about it publicly almost immediately afterward in the articles he helpfully forwards? In a season of false equivalencies, this might be my SJ favorite. Consider:

– In my quick skim of the stories BT has supplied, it seems that a few freelance American political consultants gave advice to/worked for the Yeltsin campaign because, you know, they'd actually worked on democratic elections and had some insight. The Yeltsin campaign wanted this kept secret from their rivals and the public, presumably because bringing in Americans for help might not be too popular. That's it, really. This was not some covert op by state-sponsored actors. Nothing illegal as far as I could tell as a quick glance.

– I barely have the heart to continue this post, but compare that to what Russia is doing now, according to basically every major U.S. intelligence entity. Namely, state-sponsored cyberterrorism on a massive level with the goal of screwing with the U.S. election.

If someone can't see that those two aren't equivalent, well, I'm not sure what else to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.